*[Enwl-eng] Book Club: Hope but Demand Justice with Pat Hynes

ENWLine

May 8, 2022, 1:31:31 PM5/8/22
to "ENWL-uni"

In June 2022, World BEYOND War will be holding a weekly discussion each of four weeks of the brand new book Hope but Demand Justice with the author Patricia Hynes as part of a small group WBW book club limited to 18 participants.

Pat will send each participant a signed paperback or an eBook.
We'll let you know which parts of the book will be discussed each week along with the Zoom details to access the discussions.

Sign up here to reserve your spot and get your copy of the book to start reading.

When:

For one hour on four Mondays, June 6, 13, 20, and 27, 2022. The time is 15:00 UTC (similar to GMT), 8 a.m. in Berkeley, 10 a.m. in Little Rock and Winnipeg, 11 a.m. in Toronto and New York, noon in Halifax, 4 p.m. in London, 5 p.m. in Stockholm and Rome, 7:30 p.m. in Tehran, and 1 a.m. the next day in Sydney, 3 a.m. in Auckland.

Where: Zoom (details to be shared upon registration)

This is a small group series with limited space of up to 18 people. Sign up to reserve your spot and allow for enough time to receive the book. We look forward to reading and discussing this important book with you!

About the Book:

This collection of articles published between 2010-2021 charts a quest for peace and justice for all on our planet—humans and the web of life, some 3 ½ billion years old, in which we live. These pieces were conceived in a time of deepened social and economic inequalities, expanding weapons budgets, and the Earth reaching tipping points—points of no return—from existential climate crisis and species extinction.

Many of our crucial local, national, and international issues are included here. Among these are nuclear power and weapons; the climate and biodiversity crises; the Covid-19 pandemic; militarism and war; veterans; the possibilities of peace; international collaborations; and the pursuit of sexual, racial, and economic justice.

Though chapters are separated by topic, they are not conceived in silos. Rather they reside in the web of interrelated politics, the environment, economics, and all manifestations of political and social justice and injustice—the dimensioned world in which we live our lives.

I keep these words of Vaclav Havel, playwright, dissident, and first president of the Czech Republic, nearby as a realistic beacon for living with hope in the midst of the assaults on peace, on justice for all, on democracy, and on the planet that sustains our life.

“The more unpromising the situation in which we demonstrate hope, the deeper that hope is. Hope…is not the same as joy that things are going well…or…headed for early success, but rather an ability to work for something because it is good.”

Those who work for good—to save public forests; to save the lives of Covid patients; who speak out against the futility of war, those who strive to create a future of human rights and the fullest justice for girls and women and people of color, and who labor to eliminate nuclear weapons—are a lifeline through this collection, culminating in the final piece, Hope.

This book is brand new in 2022. Here's an early review:

"Pat Hynes inspires each of us to act. Woven throughout brilliantly illustrated facts showing the damage we have inflicted on each other and our Earth, is the voice of an activist. She shows, by example, that actions to reverse inequality, to curtail climate change, to end war, can imbue us with hope -- hope which leads us to even greater commitment to create a just society." --Dr. Evelyn Murphy, former Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts; Founder and Director, The Wage Project

Here's an excerpt from the foreword:

"Pat Hynes' understanding of the wide range of issues covered in the following chapters is not only guided by her scientific expertise and training as a researcher but also, and very importantly, by compassionate intelligence. Her empathic intelligence shines through whether the subject she wrote about concerns the plight of violence-and poverty-battered families fleeing across national borders (including ours), or the U.S. government’s unbelievably wasteful and extravagant use of its citizens’ tax dollars for weapons and war, or the plight of fire-ravaged forests and communities due to runaway global warming, or the deep physical and psychological/moral scars suffered by U.S. and other countries’ military veterans, or the fate of women and girls everywhere who, she makes clear, always bear the heaviest brunt of poverty, violence, food scarcity, and sexual exploitation.

"But, lest you think you’ll come away from reading these essays feeling numb, hopeless, and depressed, please don’t worry: despite the gravity of the problems she analyzes, there is a clear stream of hopefulness that runs through all of her essays, based on her descriptions of positive, real-time actions, initiatives, and actual accomplishments on the part of ordinary citizens and a few (though still too few!) enlightened elected leaders worldwide. Be sure to read her spirit-uplifting essay, 'Hope.'" -- Randy Kehler, Executive Director of the National Nuclear Weapons Freeze Camapign; Conscientious Objector, Vietnam War; Founder, Traprock Center for Peace and Justice.

About the Author:

H. Patricia (Pat) Hynes is a retired environmental engineer who worked as a Superfund engineer for EPA New England and Professor of Environmental Health on multi-racial and low-income issues of the urban environment (including lead poisoning, asthma and the indoor environment in public housing, community gardens and urban agriculture); environmental justice; and feminism at Boston University School of Public Health. For her Superfund work and her writing, teaching, and applied research at Boston University, she has won numerous awards both locally, regionally and nationally from the US EPA, the American Public Health Association, Boston University School of Public Health, the Massachusetts Commission of Conservation Commissions, Boston Natural Areas Network, and her alma maters Chestnut Hill College and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is the author and editor of seven books, including The Recurring Silent Spring, which was nominated for the Gustavus Myers Outstanding Book Award and the 1996 National Arbor Day Foundation Book Award for A Patch of Eden, her book on community gardens in inner cities. Her forthcoming (2022) book of collected writings, Hope but Demand Justice, will be published by Haley’s Publishing.

Pat writes and speaks on the health effects of war and militarism on society and on women, in particular, as well as climate justice, renewable energy, and the hazards of nuclear weapons. As former director (2010-2020) and now board member of the Traprock Center for Peace and Justice in western Massachusetts, she is committed to building in collaboration with other organizations the Traprock Center as an educational and project-based center in peacemaking and peace and justice leadership for activists, educators, and students. She has had numerous articles on nuclear power and nuclear weapons, climate change, war and militarism, peace and the effects of war on women and the environment published in journals, books, newspapers and online nationally and internationally.

On behalf of the Traprock Center for Peace and Justice, she conducted an investigation in 2014 of the ongoing legacy of Agent Orange in Vietnam and created the Vietnam Peace Village Project to support scholarships for 3rd and 4th generation Agent Orange victims and also “10,000 Trees for Vietnam: an Environmental Justice Collaboration” to support tree planting in areas de-forested by Agent Orange. She has committed to raising awareness of the plight of Syrian women and children refugees from the disastrous war in Syria and raising funds for refugee children’s education, grounded in her interviews with Syrian women refugees in Lebanon in 2017. Since 2018 she has sustained a partnership with the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) Sierra Leone branch that includes providing children’s books on peace, social justice and environment for their use in schools and computer supplies for WILPF Sierra Leone’s new office to help launch their countrywide work; a Sports for Peace initiative with youth; a Covid education effort; and the Respect for Girls program. This partnership arose from WILPF’s 2018 African Women’s Feminist Peace Conference within the WILPF Triennial Congress in which she participated as a WILPF member-at-large. With WILPF US, she is co-developing a framework for Feminist Foreign Policy.

Pat Hynes is also currently speaking on the plight of migrants from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala fleeing violence, poverty and climate crisis in their countries to the US border with Mexico and collaborating with immigrant justice groups in Western Massachusetts.

Sign up for the club!

World BEYOND War is a global network of volunteers, chapters, and affiliated organizations advocating for the abolition of the institution of war.

Donate to support our people-powered movement for peace.

Opt-in to mobile updates.  Manage email preferences.

Should giant war-profiteering corporations decide what emails you don't want to read? We don't think so either. So, please stop our emails from going into "junk" or "spam" by "white listing," marking as "safe," or filtering to "never send to spam."

World BEYOND War | 513 E Main St #1484 | Charlottesville, VA 22902 USA
World BEYOND War | 450, 4-2 Donald Street | Winnipeg, MB R3L 0K5 Canada

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2022 12:04 PM
Subject: Book Club: Hope but Demand Justice with Pat Hynes