*[Enwl-eng] Trump just wrecked another environmental provision

ENWLine

Aug 4, 2020, 9:38:03 AM8/4/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Trump just gutted one of the most important environmental protection and anti-climate change laws to pad the pockets of fossil fuel execs

Sign Now

Since 1970, the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) has protected people and the planet by making sure construction companies can't just willy-nilly build factories, pipeliness, major roadways, or drilling sites near where people live. Naturally, that infuriated Donald Trump. So he took a massive wrecking ball to the law. Under his new, stripped-down version, corporations will no longer need to consider a project's contribution to climate change. And people who live near proposed sites will have virtually zero chance for input.

This is an egregious attempt to take away the rights of the people and expand the already massive power and wealth of the fossil fuel and construction industries, and at a particularly horrible time. Climate change is already a global emergency, with scientists agreeing that if we have not taken enough steps by 2030 to curb the climb of the world's temperatures, we will be past the point of no return. NEPA was already insufficient for the task at hand, and now we don't even have its meager protections. Sign the petition and demand that the Trump Administration restore NEPA to the way it was meant to be, before it's too late for the planet and our people!

Thank you for all that you do,

Miranda B.
The Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. One local conservationist called Trump's plan "a massive project that threatens wildlife, exacerbates climate change and impacts indigenous culture and food security." Sign today to help stop this dangerous change now!

Care2.com, Inc.
203 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 230
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com