*[Enwl-eng] COP26 is over

ENWLine

Nov 14, 2021, 9:45:44 AM11/14/21
to "ENWL-uni"

COP26 is over but the fight for climate justice and an end to all fossil fuels lives on with the people

350.org

Hi,

COP26 is over. Despite decades of pressure from the climate movement, the world’s governments have once more missed an opportunity to acknowledge that fossil fuels are the root cause of the climate crisis. [1]

This is maddening, - it was the least they could do - but ultimately it doesn't matter. The era of unchecked power of the coal, oil and gas industry is coming to an end fast - not because of one word in the text of an agreement, but because it's the only way forward. It’s because we will not bow down to the fossil fuel industry and their demands. It’s because of people and communities who continue putting their bodies on the line. The youth taking to the streets. The campaigners who spent two decades fighting for this and will not give up until we've won climate justice for all. It’s because of you, and all the people who keep showing up and taking action.

During these past weeks, it was people power that shone bright in Glasgow - and people were leading the way. The UN climate conference made an effort, but in the end didn’t deliver. No keeping all fossil fuels in the ground. No billions that we needed to support people struggling with climate impacts and fund a just transition everywhere. No end to all subsidies to coal, oil and gas.

Whatever the outcome of COP26, we’re not backing off. We never meant to. We keep fighting. We have a plan to keep the pressure on rich countries to deliver on their commitments and accept their responsibility.

Please, can you help us grow even bigger and more powerful, before our next campaign push, and invite your friends and family to join us? Simply forward them this email, or hit one of the buttons:

On Friday, the climate justice movement showed our true, vibrant colours in Glasgow. The People’s Plenary was proof of how powerful, diverse, brave and unified our movement is. COP26 didn’t deliver an ambitious agreement, but it doesn’t matter: the climate justice movement has already triggered the change that we need. [2]

There’s only one possible path to keep global heating under 1.5°C: a rapid end to coal, oil and gas, and a huge global investment into clean, just energy transition for everyone. And 1.5°C is not optional. It is an absolute necessity. It's our red line.

The UN climate conference is only one stepping stone on that path. We’re already on our way. What matters now is how fast we move down this path. Each year of delay, each 0.1°C of heating will cost people in vulnerable frontline communities lives and livelihoods. We have to move faster.

This is why we keep showing up and fighting at COP year after year. We do it to lift up the real climate leadership: that of the youth, the Indigenous and frontline communities, the people rising up against the oppressions of colonialism, capitalism and climate crisis.

Together we can and will keep fighting for climate justice, inside the negotiating rooms and outside, on the streets, in our communities.

Thank you for being part of this fight.

Onwards,

Cansin, for the entire 350.org team

PS: We’re at the end of many months of hard work. From supporting activists from the Most Affected Countries and Indigenous Leaders, to organising powerful actions to end fossil finance across the world, to flooding social media with our stories and demands: none of this would have happened without you and others in our global community. Will you take one more step, and make a donation to support 350.org in our work to build a powerful movement for climate justice?