*[Enwl-eng] Tell the NRC: No nuclear waste in my local landfill

1 view

ENWLine

Jul 16, 2020, 8:12:53 PM7/16/20
to "ENWL-uni"

You’ve already heard from us about the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s (NRC) attempt to relabel very dangerous and long-lasting nuclear waste as “Very Low-Level Waste,” or VLLW. We’re writing to you again because we still have a chance to beat back this dangerous proposal–if you take action today.

To recap: As more nuclear facilities shut down, their operators are trying to cut corners by disposing of their radioactive waste cheaply. By labeling dangerous nuclear waste as “very low-level,” the NRC is making it easy for operators to get rid of their waste on the cheap, bypassing regulations that protect the health and safety of our communities. The NRC’s proposal would pave the way for dangerous nuclear waste to end up in our local landfills, just like regular trash.

Regular landfills are not monitored or regulated to manage nuclear materials. If this radioactive waste ends up in our landfills, it’s almost inevitable that it will leak into our air, water, soil, and communities.

If you already sent comments to the NRC about this, thank you! But the more they hear from you, the better. If you haven’t sent comments yet, the deadline for comments to the NRC about this dangerous proposal is July 20. Tell the NRC: Don’t dump nuclear waste in my local landfill.

The NRC is trying to paint this as a minor deal—a mere “reinterpretation” of regulation. In fact, what they’re doing is a big deal: It’s the equivalent of rewriting a major environmental law and doing so illegally. They’re also doing it under the cover of the Covid-19 pandemic, without significant input from the communities that might be affected by this major change in regulations.

Whether you already sent comments to the NRC about this or not, it’s time for them to hear from you. The deadline for comments to the NRC is only 5 days away. Tell the NRC: Don’t dump nuclear waste in my local landfill.

The NRC’s bid to allow certain kinds of nuclear waste to be disposed of like regular trash is part of a pattern. Time and time again, the NRC has been putting the economic interests of the nuclear industry ahead of the health and safety of our communities. The job of the NRC is to protect the American people, not advance the interests of a dying industry.

Soon we’ll be pushing back in a big way against this broad pattern. But in the meantime, we’re fighting the VLLW proposal with everything we’ve got—including your support. Tell the NRC: Don’t dump nuclear waste in my local landfill.

Expect to hear more from us soon about how we’re pushing back against the NRC’s dangerous kowtowing to the nuclear industry. In the meantime, stay healthy and safe.

Thanks for all you do,

The NIRS Team

Diane D'Arrigo
Luis Hestres