*[Enwl-eng] Whistleblowers need you

ENWLine

Nov 8, 2021, 12:11:37 PM11/8/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Today Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen is testifying in the EU parliament -- telling politicians the truth about how the platform stokes hate and harms kids for profit.

And SumOfUs is right outside the building, making clear that people across the world are demanding an end to Big Tech abuses.

But we need to be sure the right MEPs feel the heat from the public -- EU politicians are finalising their plans to regulate Big Tech and every message counts. Can you help by sending a tweet to amplify the call?

Send a tweet

Brave whistleblowers like Frances Haugen and Sophie Zhang have taken huge risks showing the world what’s really going on inside Facebook -- from fuelling climate disinformation to delaying action to combat human trafficking.

They have stood up. Now governments must too.

We need laws that force the tech giants to be transparent, prioritise public safety and ditch algorithms that boost hate. But politicians will only act if they feel public pressure.

Let's send hundreds of tweets from across Europe demanding change -- we did this for a recent vote and MEPs started responding on Twitter to show their support for our asks. We know the tactic works! Can you help?

Send a tweet

Thanks for all that you do,
Olivia, Flora and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

HOW FACEBOOK FAILS 90 PERCENT OF ITS USERS The Atlantic, 25 October, 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Monday, November 08, 2021 12:25 PM
Subject: Whistleblowers need you