*[Enwl-eng] COP 27: Indigenous Women Should #MakeTheNews

ENWL

Nov 15, 2022, 9:57:41 AM11/15/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Listen to their stories

Indigenous women are at the frontline of the climate crisis.
They should make the headlines.

In an environmental era which Secretary-General António Guterres has called “a code red for humanity,” Indigenous women are particularly affected. They bear the scars of extractive industry and toxic pollution, and the burden of community care at a time when food, water, and safe shelter are hard to come by.

Yet far from being victims, Indigenous women are stepping up to fight for climate justice as organizers, land defenders, and symbols of resistance. Many are seeking to hold world leaders accountable for fulfilling promises of climate action at the COP27 Conference on Climate Change, which is currently taking place in Egypt.

This year, youth participation in the climate movement and climate finance have been at the forefront of conference proceedings. During the first week of the event, Indigenous women have made their voices heard demanding accountability and action from world leaders. Yet their voices continue to be marginalized in negociations and media coverage of COP27. Land Rights Now calls for the demands of Indigenous women to be centered and met during Week 2 of the conference.

Our campaign #SheShouldMaketheNews highlights the voices of six Indigenous women making waves in the climate movement. Their experiences illustrate the importance of Indigenous women’s ontologies and worldview to climate justice, and the urgency with which they seek to generate climate action for their communities and the planet.

You can uplift their voices by sharing our blog posts, housed in our digital newspaper Land Rights News - Climate edition, and by sharing content from our Twitter, Instagram and Facebook pages. We hope you will join us in helping Indigeous women make the headlines at #COP27.

  Sincerely,

The Land Rights Now Team

Read their stories
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
The contents of this newsletter may be freely reproduced, translated, and distributed provided attribution. Unless otherwise noted, this work may not be utilized for commercial purposes.

Land Rights Now mobilizes and engages active citizens, media, communities and organizations worlwide to promote and secure the land rights of Indigenous Peoples and local communities. Follow us on social media!

Oxfam · Mauritskade 9 · Den Haag, Zuid-Holland 2500 GX · Netherlands

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2022 6:57 PM
Subject: COP 27: Indigenous Women Should #MakeTheNews