*[Enwl-eng] Save our ocean

1 view

ENWLine

May 21, 2021, 8:31:31 AM5/21/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Massive fishing nets scoop up the seabed destroying everything and killing marine animals. Next week, our MEPs could vote to ban the use of these nets and protect our oceans. But our voice has to be stronger than the fishing lobby.

Hi,

Fishing nets as tall as a three-storey building and as wide as a football field scoop up the seabed everyday. In seconds, these nets destroy everything in their path, killing dolphins, seals, corals, seahorses and hundreds of other marine species.

This harmful industrial fishing practice is called bottom-trawling. [1] It’s happening right here in Europe, in the jewel of our oceans, inside Marine Protected Areas. [2] But finally we have a chance to stop it.

Next week, our Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) in the environment committee could vote to ban bottom-trawling in protected areas. But the fishing lobby wants to prevent the ban so that commercial fishing companies can continue to maximise profits by catching huge quantities of “product” in one go. [3]

This is where we come in. MEPs are our elected representatives, they represent us. They listen to interest groups like the fishing lobby, but they also need to listen to people from this community like you, Vladimir. Together, let’s counter the pressure MEPs are facing from the fishing lobby with a massive show of people power, will you sign?

Stop the destruction of our ocean!

When fishing nets are dragged across the ocean floor, they catch shrimp and octopuses, but also destroy deep-sea coral and sponge communities like starfish. Once coral and starfish are destroyed, fish and species dependent on them for spawning, shelter, nurseries, protection, and food, may also disappear.

This practice causes more irreversible damage to the seabed than any other human activity in the world. [4] It effectively turns our precious marine ecosystems into a wasteland.

On 26 or 27 May, MEPs in the environment committee (ENVI) of the European Parliament will vote on a ban on bottom-trawling as part of the EU Biodiversity Strategy, a long-term plan to protect nature and reverse the degradation of ecosystems. [5]

If this vote fails, as the fishing lobby hopes, we may not have another opportunity to reverse this destructive practice for years to come. But if the committee’s vote is successful, the full Parliament could vote to ban bottom-trawling in June.

MEPs now have the power to decide the ban’s fate. If thousands of us show an outpouring of support to protect our marine life, it could help them stay strong against the fishing lobby who are doing everything they can to stop the ban. Add your signature now!

Sign now to save our ocean!

Together, we’ve been working for over four years to save our ocean. Last year, with a broad coalition of partners, we delivered almost half a million signatures to the European Council calling for an end to overfishing. [6]

Back then, EU politicians failed to limit fishing catches to sustainable levels. But every action we take together paves the way for the ones we will win and now we have another big opportunity to protect our ocean: sign and tweet to stop commercial fisheries from destroying our ocean!

With hope,
David (London), Giulio (Rome), Mika (Bordeaux) and the rest of the WeMove team