*[Enwl-eng] Genocide sponsored by ZARA

ENWLine

Apr 29, 2022, 1:23:17 PM4/29/22
to "ENWL-uni"

We told you about ZARA's use of Uyghur forced labour. And you stepped up.

Now we have a new opportunity to pressure ZARA. A new CEO just took over who might be receptive to our plea.

Send a tweet to ZARA and its new CEO, Marta Ortega, to urge her to do the right thing.

 Send a tweet

ZARA has a new boss - Marta Ortega. She’s the daughter of ZARA’s founder, and she’ll be desperate to protect the family firm.

Ortega knows that there is growing public outrage over the horrific abuses being suffered by Uyghurs at the hands of the government of China – and that by using Uyghur forced labour, ZARA is risking its reputation.

We have to remind her that her family’s name is associated with a company that is complicit in genocide. If she wants to protect ZARA’s reputation, she needs to act fast.

Let's take over Twitter to call on ZARA and its new CEO, Marta Ortega, to stop using Uyghur forced labor.

Send a tweet

Over 180,000 signatures and a sustained campaign against ZARA might have already paid off. ZARA, concerned about its image, may have pushed out the previous CEO, Pablo Isla, to give the impression that it wants a fresh start.

Now we need to make that a reality!

So today, let’s keep up the pressure. Let’s flood ZARA's Twitter account and make Marta Ortega trend on Twitter so that the brand stops using Uyghur forced labour.

We know public pressure works - HUGO BOSS cut ties with a supplier using Uyghur forced labor because thousands of SumOfUs members flooded BOSS’ twitter feed. Now let’s force ZARA to do the same!

 Send a tweet

Thanks for all that you do,
Vicky, Ibrahim and the team at SumOfUs

ps - if you don't have social media, you can send an email to Marta Ortega and other ZARA executives.

ZARA CEO, Marta Ortega mar...@inditex.com

ZARA head of sustainability at Inditex, Javier Losada jav...@inditex.com

More information:

H&M faces boycott in China over stance on treatment of Uyghurs, New York Times, March 24th 2021

Zara and Uniqlo owners face investigation over profiting from alleged Uyghur forced labor in China, Fortune, July 2nd 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2022 6:54 PM
Subject: Genocide sponsored by ZARA