*[Enwl-eng] Social-emotional learning for kids could save lives

1 view

enwl

Jul 5, 2022, 11:18:02 AM7/5/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Gun violence proves kids need to learn how to safely regulate their emotions.

Care2 Petitions Logo
A child sits at a school desk, head in hand.

All Children Deserve Social-Emotional Learning Skills to Reduce Violence and Build Supportive Communities

The vast majority of Americans have been left reeling in the wake of the Supreme Court's disastrous ruling that overturned Roe v. Wade and national reproductive rights. But sadly, it's not the only horrific decision to come out of the Supreme Court recently. Just before it stamped out Roe, the court also went after states' abilities to enact gun safety legislation. And it basically said: "No." In a year that has already seen numerous gruesome mass shootings, including in a Texas elementary school, we have to honestly address the unique — and preventable — tragedy of gun violence in the U.S. We need more gun safety regulations. And we also need better social-emotional learning programs for kids — especially if the Supreme Court won't let us enact other gun safety laws right now.

Social-emotional learning (SEL) curriculums help teach young people healthy, safe ways to express themselves and de-escalate intense emotions. It involves teaching kids to feel empathy for others and awareness of their own feelings, as well as learning tactics to manage their emotions and interpersonal skills to resolve conflicts peacefully. The results are huge benefits all around: SEL helps students develop strong, vibrant relationships within supportive communities, improves mental health, and reduces both self-harm and violence against others. It even improves academic performance by creating a more productive learning environment!

It should be obvious that all children deserve this sort of emotional training. But strangely, some extreme right-wing groups oppose both SEL and gun safety regulations. Instead, they prefer adding more guns to the equation, by arming teacher or guards. But as we all saw in Uvalde, Texas, even police with guns did not stop the mass shooter for 12 minutes while he was gunning down children. Clearly, police do not prevent gun violence, in schools or elsewhere. But social-emotional learning could. We can't let these extreme right-wing voices drown out the voices of reason: our voices. Sign the petition to urge all 50 U.S. states to fully fund social-emotional learning programs in schools, led by qualified counselors, in order to prevent more horrible violence!

Photo of white woman with short brown hair

Thank you,

Miranda

Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. We need gun safety laws. And we also need to teach kids how to manage their emotions and healthily communicate with others. Sign the petition now.

Care2.com, Inc.
3141 Stevens Creek Blvd. #40394
San Jose, CA 95117
http://www.care2.com