*[Enwl-eng] Mark Zuckerberg's war

ENWLine

Jul 21, 2021, 9:05:14 AM7/21/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Mark Zuckerberg is terrified. New laws being considered in Washington would force him to tell the truth about Facebook’s malign impact on our lives and our democracies. Talks are stalled but our contacts in Congress tell us that a clarion call from President Biden would clear the way for tough rules on tech transparency.  Mark has hired a massive army of corporate lobbyists but our combined voices are stronger. Join us!  Tell President Biden that it’s time for truth from the tech giants! Dear friends, Mark Zuckerberg is scared.He calls himself a “wartime CEO” and he’s hired one of the biggest armies of corporate lobbyists that Washington has ever seen.‘Zuck’ is terrified that new laws will finally force him to tell the truth about how Facebook manipulates us, invades our privacy, misuses our data, and has willingly become a weapon of the far right.Lawmakers in the US have introduced almost a dozen different bills designed to do just that -- force Facebook and other platforms to come clean about how harmful their products can be. But right now those bills are stalled, mired in a morass of competing political priorities.Mark and his army of lobbyists know that all they have to do is wait. In just a few months, Congress will slow to a crawl for the 2022 campaign season and the bills will wither away. We’ve talked to friends in dozens of lawmakers’ offices and we keep hearing the same thing: only a strong call from President Biden can clear a path for tough transparency rules for big tech.  Join us and we’ll hand-deliver our combined voices directly to the White House:
Sign now
[...]

To protect their people, governments across the world have brought every major new industry in modern history under regulation -- even when it seemed impossible. Tobacco. Telephones. Television. Railroads. Radio. Automobiles. Airlines. For the sake of our people, our democracies, and our planet, the time has come to rein in big tech.  The EU is making progress but the US, big tech’s home and headquarters, has fallen far behind.

President Biden can, and must, demand transparency from the tech giants.

Critics will say that protecting free speech and fostering innovation means you can’t force Facebook and other social media companies to disclose their dirty secrets.  But Avaaz’s consistent calls for tech transparency have been echoed by experts and endorsed by some of the world’s foremost defenders of free expression. Lawmakers in the US are excited. But Congress is less likely to move without a clear signal from the White House. That's where we can make a difference.

We must regulate social media to preserve our societies, our mental health and our families. And one man has the power to be the hero the world needs and rise up to this challenge. Let's make Biden hear from us, everywhere. Sign and share with everyone you know:
Avaaz has guarded democracies from disinformation all over the world.  We’ve unveiled disinformation networks that reached billions of views, attacking elections in Brazil, the EU, and the U.S. We’ve documented hate speech and extremism in India, shown how Facebook helped make the invasion of the US Capitol possible, and blown the whistle on the platforms’ inability to contain disinformation about COVID-19. We’ve pushed reluctant social media platforms to adopt partial measures, but only regulation will get us the rest of the way. Let’s win this together!

With hope and determination,

Nate, Liliana, Laura, Luis, Christoph and the whole Avaaz team

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2012-05-15

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500