*[Enwl-eng] Another sponsor pulled out - time to hit the rest!

1 view

ENWLine

Mar 26, 2022, 11:51:08 AM3/26/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Activists just revealed French oil giant Total’s human rights abuses to the UN

350.org

Hi,

Total’s East African Crude Oil Pipeline (EACOP) has already forced 100,000 people off their land. And anyone who opposes this pipeline is at risk - activists we’re working with have been attacked, threatened, and arrested. [1]

Together, we are fighting back to stop this project from ever seeing the light of day - but we need your help.

Over the last two weeks, 350 has joined StopEACOP activists from Uganda traveling across Europe getting broad support to stop Total’s pipeline. And on Tuesday, activists gave evidence to the UN on the human rights abuses Total is and will be responsible for.

We need to make sure that big banks trying to secretly profit from EACOP can’t hide from the devastation they are already causing.

And we have some intel. European Bank, Deutsche Bank, who are rumored to be major backers of EACOP, could pull out if we ramp up the pressure.

Will you share this report on the devastation EACOP will cause to Deutsche Bank’s social media?

Our strategy of calling out and embarrassing these funders is working. Already 15 major banks have committed to stop funding [2] and earlier this week a major French insurance company removed their support in a huge blow to the project.[3]

Now is the time to pile on the pressure on those companies who are still trying to secretly profit off destruction. They are becoming more and more isolated and every month more pull out.

So many lives are already being affected by this project and even more are at risk if this project goes ahead.

40 million people might not be able to get clean water if there’s an oil spill. And 34 million tons of carbon will be pumped into the atmosphere every year causing devastating global heating. [4]

Companies like Total don’t care about people, they only care about profit. And the only way to stop them is to cut their funding.

So, please, let’s keep up the pressure on Deutsche Bank and other banks and keep fossil fuels in the ground for good.

In solidarity and defiance,

Ellie for 350.org

P.S. Show solidarity with the activists touring Europe by retweeting and sharing their posts on Facebook on 350's social media.

We're taking action on social media today because it represents the most effective way to publicly challenge a company and, at the same time, attract the attention of the media. If you don't have a social media account, you can set one up easily or use the info on our share page and write to the bank yourself.

Sources

[1] Total's EACOP Pipeline one step closer to going ahead | 350.org
[2] Who will finance the East African Crude Oil Pipeline | Bank Track
[3] Global insurance firms steer clear of EACOP|StopEACOP
[4] Total's EACOP Pipeline one step closer to going ahead | 350.org

Facebook Twitter Instagram

PO Box 843004, Boston, MA 02284-3004

350.org is a global movement that fights for a just and equitable world by stopping the fossil fuel industry from continuing to destroy our climate.

Sent: Friday, March 25, 2022 10:19 PM
Subject: Another sponsor pulled out - time to hit the rest!