*[Enwl-eng] International Day of Peace is coming up!

ENWLine

Aug 27, 2020, 9:34:21 AM8/27/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Do you know the story of the sky blue scarves that are often worn on International Peace Day (September 21)? The "Border-free Blue Scarves" project was founded by the Afghan Peace Volunteers in Afghanistan, as a response to Professor Noam Chomsky's challenge to build a world free of borders. According to the Afghan Peace Volunteers, the blue scarf "represents our collective wish as a human family to live without wars, to share our resources and to take care of our earth under the same blue sky."

The International Day of Peace on September 21 is less than one month away. Following the lead of the Afghan Peace Volunteers, World BEYOND War encourages everyone to wear sky blue scarves on the International Day of Peace to symbolize peace and support for war abolition. Established in 1981 by the United Nations, Peace Day is celebrated by many nations and organizations with events all over the world. We're working with volunteers, chapters, and allied organizations worldwide to organize virtual and physically-distanced in-person events to commemorate the day with education and awareness-building on issues of peace and war.

Here's how you can celebrate the International Day of Peace:

  • Get your sky blue scarf
  • Get tickets to our online screening of the film "We Are Many"
  • Check our events listings for online and in-person events on or around September 21
  • Collect signatures for World BEYOND War's Declaration of Peace
  • Check out our Resources page for books, articles, films, and more event resources
  • Find fact sheets and handouts on our Flyers page

The International Day of Peace is an important day to reaffirm our collective call for peace. As a UN-designated day for nonviolence and ceasefire, this 24-hour pause on war begs the question of why we can't have year-long or forever-long pauses in wars. This September 21, join us to demand war abolition.

For a world beyond war,

Greta Zarro
Organizing Director
World BEYOND War
gr...@worldbeyondwar.org

World BEYOND War is a global network of volunteers, activists, and allied organizations advocating for the abolition of the very institution of war. Our success is driven by a people-powered movement – support our work for a culture of peace.

Opt-in for important, timely mobile messages.

World BEYOND War 513 E Main St #1484 Charlottesville, VA 22902 USA

Privacy policy.
Checks must be made out to "World BEYOND War / AFGJ" or we can't deposit them.

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 4:16 PM
Subject: International Day of Peace is coming up!