*[Enwl-eng] This Saturday: "The Day After"

ENWL

Aug 5, 2022, 1:24:47 PM8/5/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Join us online for a screening of "The Day After," followed by a discussion led by experts. This three-hour free public event begins on August 6th at noon U.S. Eastern Time. Here is the start time in a lot of time zones:

SIGN UP HERE.

"The Day After" is a U.S. post-apocalyptic film that first aired on November 20, 1983, on the ABC television network. A record-setting 100 million people watched it in the U.S. - and 200 million on Russian TV during its initial broadcast.

The film postulates a fictional war between NATO forces and the Warsaw Pact countries over Germany that rapidly escalates into a full-scale nuclear exchange between the United States and the Soviet Union. The action focuses on the residents of Lawrence, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri, and of several family farms near nuclear missile silos.

Then-U.S. President Ronald Reagan watched the film more than a month before its screening on Columbus Day, October 10, 1983. He wrote in his diary that the film was "very effective and left me greatly depressed," and that it changed his mind on the prevailing policy on a "nuclear war." Maybe this film can still change hearts and minds! Join us to find out!

We will have a short welcome on Zoom at 12 pm EDT, and then watch the movie from 12:05 pm to 2:10 pm EDT, followed by presentations and a question-and-answer period with our experts, Vicki Elson of NuclearBan.US and Dr. Gordon Edwards of Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility.

SIGN UP HERE.

Other Exciting Upcoming Events:

August 9: GLOBAL ALERT: Canada, Sign the Nuclear Ban Treaty! Hiroshima-Nagasaki Day 77th Anniversary Commemoration

August 10: Discuss the movies! Cautionary vs. Visionary Tales

August 17: Meet Jeff Daniels, the award-winning producer/director of "Television Event", a movie about a movie!

August 24: Meet "The Day After"/Star Trek Movie Director Nicholas Meyer

August 31: Meet Susi Snyder from ICAN and Don't Bank on the Bomb

World BEYOND War is a global network of volunteers, chapters, and affiliated organizations advocating for the abolition of the institution of war.
Donate to support our people-powered movement for peace.

Opt-in to mobile updates.  Manage email preferences.  Privacy policy.

Should giant war-profiteering corporations decide what emails you don't want to read? We don't think so either. So, please stop our emails from going into "junk" or "spam" by "white listing," marking as "safe," or filtering to "never send to spam."

World BEYOND War | 513 E Main St #1484 | Charlottesville, VA 22902 USA
World BEYOND War | 450, 4-2 Donald Street | Winnipeg, MB R3L 0K5 Canada

Sent: Friday, August 05, 2022 12:21 PM
Subject: This Saturday: "The Day After"