*[Enwl-eng] WhatsApp

ENWLine

Jan 16, 2021, 10:14:01 AM1/16/21
to "ENWL-uni"

WhatsApp has finally made explicit what we’ve long suspected -- BILLIONS of people’s private data is being shared directly with parent company Facebook. Both platforms are coming under pressure, but we must urgently build a grassroots #OwnYourData revolution. Join now and let’s stop the data harvest:

 Sign now

WhatsApp’s mask has fallen: its new Terms & Conditions explicitly state that it shares users’ private data with its parent company Facebook.

WhatsApp has over 2 BILLION users worldwide. Facebook cross-references data from billions of people from their platforms such as your name, your phone number, location and uses it to target you with ads and recommended content.

WhatsApp and Facebook are under big media pressure, but we must urgently build a grassroots #OwnYourData revolution. Their new terms come into force in a few days -- this is the perfect moment to demand WhatsApp to ask for clear consent before they harvest our data. Add your name now:

Facebook: You don't own my data! Drop WhatsApp data harvesting

The only consumers protected from this data-sharing are those in the EU and UK, thanks to GDPR. But the rest of the world is subject to Zuckerberg’s desires. Even if you don't use Facebook, your data will be his!

The more data Facebook has, the more money it’ll make. We are the business model, and that's what we need to fight.

We need to fight for better treatment from the tech giants -- and more control over our own data. In the long run that means breaking up their monopolies. Right now it means demanding they don’t harvest our data without permission.

We have got to stop this madness. Join #OwnYourData revolution and demand WhatsApp to ask for clear consent before they harvest our data. Sign now:

Facebook: You don't own my data! Drop WhatsApp data harvesting

Last week we were part of the historic call to ban Trump from Twitter -- we even sailed a boat in front of the Twitter CEO's house. And our voices were heard. This movement has huge power, and we have got to keep fighting against Big Tech. While breaking their monopoly might be the only solution to stop this outrageous business model, we have to take action in the meantime. The world needs us.

 Sign now

Thanks for all that you do,
Flora, Olivia, Rewan and the team at SumofUs

More information:

WhatsApp users are really Facebook customers now – it's getting harder to forget that - The Guardian, 11 Jan 2021

The Truth About Your WhatsApp Data - The New York Times, 04 Jan 2021

Do You Suddenly Need To Stop Using WhatsApp? - Forbes, 09 Jan 2021

Signal sees surge in new signups after boost from Elon Musk and WhatsApp controversy - The Verge, 09 January 2021

WhatsApp New policy
 - WhatsApp, 04 Jan 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 2:11 PM
Subject: WhatsApp