*[Enwl-eng] No one left behind

ENWLine

Nov 3, 2020, 11:43:03 AM11/3/20
to "ENWL-uni"

From one day to the next, the list of people who have lost their livelihoods has grown exponentially. We need to act fast to guarantee that all Europeans have an unconditional basic income with enough to live on.

Hi,

As we try to contain the surge in coronavirus cases this autumn, countries across Europe are in lockdown or preparing for it for at least the next month. [1]

With shops, gyms, bars and many other businesses closed, the list of people who will lose their livelihoods continues to grow.

But the current support schemes are not equipped to see us through. Too many people and families are left struggling, and many of us are at a loss to understand how mortgages, rents, bills and groceries will be paid.

A Universal Basic Income (UBI) is an unconditional monthly cash payment that everyone receives. Money for everyone. No conditions. It would be the quickest and most effective way to provide everyone with real financial security. We need EU leaders to step up and put UBI on the agenda to help people survive this pandemic.

Thanks in part to your support, Universal Basic Income, which was once a fringe idea, has now entered the mainstream. [2] As the pandemic gives no sign of slowing down, the time has never been more ripe for the EU to provide a UBI. Help us boost the petition: share it with your friends and family!

Share now to demand a basic emergency income for all

Now more than ever, the EU needs to show that it will protect Europeans and ensure everyone has a safety net. 22% of Europeans are already at risk of poverty and this number continues to grow every day. [2]

A basic income is the most effective instrument the EU can use, guaranteeing an unconditional monthly payment to each person – a basic level of everyday security. The system is easy, quick to introduce and requires minimum bureaucracy.

Share now to demand basic emergency income for all

We’ve been campaigning for a Universal Basic Income since early 2020. You and close to 180,000 others have already signed the petition. With more lockdowns planned and thousands of people struggling, help us remind EU leaders that the best response is money for everyone. No conditions. Share now.

In solidarity,
David (London), Guilio (Rome), Olga (Bologna), and the entire WeMove Europe team