*[Enwl-eng] [wildlife-climate] Fwd: Ecocide: the legal definition is here!

ENWLine

Jun 23, 2021, 7:45:55 PM6/23/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Формулировка определения Экоцида!
Ещё не снимал - шлю Вам!
Доброго,
Свет

От: Stop Ecocide <te...@stopecocide.earth>
Date: ср, 23 июн. 2021 г. в 15:15
Subject: Ecocide: the legal definition is here!
To: <svet...@gmail.com>

View in Browser 200 words to protect the planet This is it! The moment so many of you have been waiting for... The Independent Expert Panel for the Legal Definition of Ecocide convened by our foundati

200 words to protect the planet

This is it! The moment so many of you have been waiting for...

The Independent Expert Panel for the Legal Definition of Ecocide convened by our foundation has completed its deliberations.  The proposed definition of ecocide as a 5th crime under the Rome Statute is now available for states to consider - and for civil society to demand.

We think the drafting panel has achieved something remarkable - we love this legal definition!  It’s well pitched between what needs to be done to protect ecosystems and what will be acceptable to states - it’s both bold and workable at same time.  Governments and activists alike will take it seriously.

You can find the full text of the definition with accompanying commentary HERE and on the newly launched Ecocide Law website, an academic and legal resource hub we are co-managing with the Promise Institute for Human Rights at UCLA School of Law.  There is also an additional FAQ page

Please read the definition, write about it, talk about it, and pressurise your elected representatives about it at all levels.  And as press stories begin to emerge, please help to share them widely.

Watch global press briefing HERE

Public events to come - see below for the first ones already scheduled

TODAY! (23rd June)
Ecocide definition event
The business perspective

Webinar organised by allies Ecocide Law Alliance

New Definition of Ecocide Law - The Business Perspective
 June 23 at 4 pm (London time). In English

Richard Rogers expert in international human rights and international criminal law, deputy Co-Chair of the expert drafting panel
Jojo Mehta Chair, Stop Ecocide Foundation
Jonas Roupé former head of strategy & business intelligence at Ericsson

Ecocide definition
The public briefing

Hosted by the Stop Ecocide Foundation as part of London Climate Week!

200 words to protect the planet - defining a new international crime

July 1st at 12noon
(London time). In English

An inspiring and informative conversation around the newly emerged legal definition of ecocide between:
Richard Rogers, Deputy Co-Chair of the legal drafting panel
David Lammy, UK Shadow Justice Minister
Jojo Mehta, Chair, Stop Ecocide Foundation

We have lots more news which we’ll bring to you soon, but right now let’s celebrate this milestone!

Change the law, protect the Earth

with love and unshakeable persistence,

The Stop Ecocide Team

Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 4:55 PM