*[Enwl-eng] It’s not what you say, it's what you do

1 view

enwl

Jun 15, 2022, 1:28:09 PM6/15/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Leaving powerful banks, insurers, asset managers, lobbyists and financiers alone in a room to talk about climate is never a very good idea...

At COP26, Big Finance committed to aligning their businesses to net-zero by 2050 – finally doing their bit for the planet.

But surprise, surprise, today this club of CEOs known as GFANZ (Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero), has done little but pay lip service to climate action. Worse, they're even listening to fossil fuels lobbyists who are intent on watering down any new climate policies.

As we speak, the leaders of GFANZ, Mark Carney and Mike Bloomberg, are holding an important summit with their members – and this time, we won't let them gab behind closed doors.

Together with a coalition of climate campaigners and NGOs, we are preparing public actions to shine a spotlight on their wrongdoings, and force them to do their job: come up with a clear and detailed action plan to cut out fossil fuel finance and support a transition to clean energy, now!

we need your help! Send Carney, Bloomberg and the GFANZ gang a protest email and support our actions happening today during this meeting!

GFANZ has over 450 financial firms from 45 countries, is responsible for assets of over $130 trillion and represents over 40% of total global private financial assets. In short, it is an enormous financial alliance with almost unprecedented power over financial markets.

As such, it can be an enormous force for change - it can point a way forward for climate finance, peer pressuring laggards and really change the way major financial institutions invest.

But with great power comes great responsibility. And in the wrong hands, this enormous conglomerate could just serve as a nice coat of paint, greenwashing the most polluting investors, banks and insurers and enabling them to carry on their climate destruction business as usual.

Today, by refusing to call an end to its members' financial support for fossil fuel projects and using the war in Ukraine as an excuse to pump more money into oil and gas infrastructure, Carney and Bloomberg are failing to live up to even their most basic responsibilities.

help us disrupt their cozy tête-à-tête and send the GFANZ cabal an email calling for an end to their greenwash and a serious action plan towards real net zero emissions.

We expected better from Mark Carney and Mike Bloomberg. As the self-styled "kings of green finance", they owe us and the planet much more than parroting the rotten narratives of fossil fuel lobbyists.

Hundreds of thousands of SumOfUs members have been banding together to call out greenwashing where we find it. Last year, we took on the CEO of Lloyd's of London John Neal and his worthless environmental plan - making a complete u-turn on his commitments - forcing Lloyd's to publicly acknowledge their hypocrisy. Early this year, we asked the shareholders of TotalEnergies to block its fake "climate plan" and your concerns were brought directly to the Annual General Meeting.

Our future is burning and there is no more time for fake initiatives. Let's get GFANZ to be a force for good rather than for destruction.

support the wave of mobilisations at their meeting today and send the GFANZ an email calling on them to invest in our future!.

 SEND YOUR EMAIL

Thanks for all that you do,
Leyla, Charles and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

It's Not What You Say, It's What You Do
Reclaim Finance . 2 November 2021.

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 10:14 AM
Subject: It’s not what you say, it's what you do