*[Enwl-eng] French President Emmanuel Macron

ENWLine

Oct 22, 2020, 9:52:21 AM10/22/20
to "ENWL-uni"
The French giant TOTAL wants to drill for dirty oil in the Arctic - and they’re about to get public money from the French government to do it.

French President Emmanuel Macron likes to call himself a climate leader, but his actions don’t match his words. Now is the time to call his bluff:

Send a message to French President Macron asking him to stop pouring public money into TOTAL and dirty fossil fuel projects around the world.

Send an email now

This November, France is hosting a summit called “Finance in Common” where public development banks that control $2 trillion of public money all over the globe will talk about ways to respond to “COVID and climate change”. This is an important moment because public money is still being used around the world to fund the climate crisis.

TOTAL has dirty fossil projects around the world. The company is on track to set up Africa’s biggest oil project in Mozambique, a country that is already facing the climate crisis in full swing.

To stop the climate crisis, we need to turn off the money tap to these dirty fossil fuel projects. President Macron wants to use the Summit to look good in front of his peers and the press. This is why we need to take this opportunity to hold him accountable to his promise to act on climate change.

Ask French President Emmanuel Macron to turn off the money tap to TOTAL. Your name will be added and sent along with the email to the President and his advisors ahead of the Finance in Common summit.

There is a pattern with dirty fossil fuel projects. Rich countries give money to companies who then exploit the land, abuse resources ,and violate human rights in countries on the other end of the world. Emmanuel Macron himself, speaking at the United Nations in September 2019, described as "incoherent" and "irresponsible" the export financing of developed countries for polluting projects in other regions of the world.

The finance system fuels climate breakdown which is destroying our communities. We must stop big banks and investors from propping up toxic fossil fuels. In 2021, we are going to hold them to account for every project and push every rule.

Take action now -- tell President Macron to stop funding TOTAL and dirty fossil fuel projects.

Thanks for everything you do,
Clémence and the 350.org team

350.org is building a global climate movement. You can connect with us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and become a sustaining donor to keep this movement strong and growing.

Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 11:19 AM
Subject: French President Emmanuel Macron