*[Enwl-eng] Governor Newsom promised to take climate action

enwl

Aug 3, 2022, 1:21:44 PM8/3/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Call on him to stop California’s Amazon crude oil addiction

View this email in your browser

A tanker ship carrying Amazon crude oil threads through the water and anchors in the Los Angeles port. The crude oil from this tanker and many others will be refined by Marathon, Chevron, and Valero – and sold by retailers throughout the state. In fact, on average 1 in 9 gallons pumped in California is derived from the Amazon.

But here’s the price of fueling California with oil from the Amazon. The fossil fuel industry across the Amazon is a gateway to deforestation and is responsible for Indigenous Peoples' rights violations, pollution, and ongoing spills, and is connected to corruption, and a host of additional biodiversity and climate impacts.

Governor Newsom must act now to stop California’s complicity in the Amazon destruction.

Send a message to Governor Newsom and tell him to end California’s complicity in new oil drilling in the Amazon while also not expanding domestic production.

SEND A MESSAGE

image of ruptured crude oil pipeline and oil spill in Ecuador, Amazon

Image credit: Mongabay

In January 2022, a pipeline carrying crude oil in the Ecuadorian region of the Amazon ruptured – contaminating over 226,000 square feet of the Cayambe Coca nature reserve and the massive Coca River. Less than two years ago, in April 2020, three ruptured pipelines spilled more than 15,000 barrels of oil into the Coca River and polluted the food and water of more than 27,000 members of downstream Indigenous communities.

As California fuels up on Amazonian crude, Indigenous and frontlines communities in the rainforest are paying a hefty price. The toxic legacy of the fossil fuel industry not only affects the livelihood of hundreds of thousands of people, but it endangers vital biodiversity in the region. Rogue refineries should not be allowed to make Californians and businesses complicit in expanding oil drilling in the Amazon.

We need elected leaders like Governor Newsom to stand to up to Big Oil and work with communities to end California’s oversized role in the destruction of the Amazon. We have to make sure Newsom understands the urgency of protecting this vital rainforest by delivering this message straight to his office.

will you send a message to Governor Newsom and urge him to take action to protect the Amazon rainforest by helping to stop new oil drilling in the region? Our easy-to-use tool has a sample message you can use.

The momentum to protect the Amazon is stronger than ever. Just like  how the Stand.earth community stood up against fossil fuel projects like Trans Mountain, the Coastal GasLink pipeline, and the Teck tar sands mine, we know you’ll be here to resist the expansion of oil and gas drilling in the Amazon rainforest. We have shifted billions of dollars from fossil fuel projects in the Amazon and secured commitments from six banks to stop financing Amazon oil and gas.

Thank you for calling an end to the U.S. and California's complicity in new oil drilling in the Amazon once and for all.

With determination,

Tyson Miller
Amazon Programs Director
Stand.earth

P.S. If you would like to hear from the Indigenous leaders on the frontlines fighting to protect their homes from oil drilling, check out this exclusive piece from NBC on our California crude report.

Stand.earth challenges corporations, industries, and governments to prioritize the well-being of people, our environment, and our climate by creating long-term, effective solutions. None of this work is possible without your support.

DONATE $5

San Francisco office: 548 Market Street, Suite 74196, San Francisco, CA 94104-5401
On traditional Chochenyo and Karkin Ohlone Lands

Bellingham office: 1329 N State St., Suite 302 Bellingham, WA 98225
On traditional Lummi and Nooksack Lands

Vancouver office: 5307 Victoria Drive, Suite 347, Vancouver, BC V5P 3V6
On Unceded Territories of the səl̓ílwətaʔɬ, xʷməθkwəy̓əm, and Skwxwú7mesh Nations

supporter

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2022 5:06 PM
Subject: Governor Newsom promised to take climate action