*[Enwl-eng] We're in serious financial trouble

1 view

ENWLine

Oct 20, 2021, 12:10:35 PM10/20/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear Friends for Peace,

World BEYOND War is in serious danger of not being able to pay its bills this month. We've been growing, accomplishing more, and also developing prospects for future funding. But at the moment we're in the worst jam we've ever been in financially. If you can consider making a small donation, or even becoming a sustaining monthly donor or large donor like those we've thanked here (or if you're already a recurring donor, increasing your monthly contribution by even a few dollars), we'd be immensely grateful. Just click here to chip in.

While war continues to bring death, sickness, and suffering to millions of people across the world, the expense of war continues to cause even more damage through the diversion of resources. That’s why we are continuing to expand our work, our courses, our events, our resources, and our activism. Have you seen our recent webinars, online courses (we're planning at least five next year), bookclubs (one every month now), our new anti-war pro-peace resources database, our growing number of chapters and affiliates, our campaign around COP26, the accomplishments and ongoing struggles of our divestment and close bases campaigns, our plans for Remembrance/Armistice Day, our latest billboards, etc., etc.? We're keeping busy, and a grand total of zero corporations and no billionaires are helping out.

To be fully transparent, World BEYOND War is in a very precarious spot financially. Can you help?

The past year-and-a-half has been difficult — and we recognize that it has been for many of you too. Donations have dipped more than normal, foundations have shifted funding priorities to support direct emergency pandemic relief, many family charities have frozen funding in an effort to align family members’ priorities in the wake of the pandemic and the racial reckoning felt across many countries (which too often results in billions of dollars sitting untouched and collecting interest when it could be streamlined into supporting and creating transformative change), and almost all of our events have all moved online — which creates less opportunity for networking and growing alliances and partners, critical pieces of our sustainability.

Despite these things, we have expanded our educational programs and activist efforts into new parts of the world.

To be blunt: we need money to continue to do this work. Our pockets are shallow and our bank account is the lowest it’s been. While the U.S. government alone puts at least $100,000,000,000 into militarism each month, World BEYOND War can get by on $30,000. As of now, we don't have that $30,000 for the next month

Can you help us continue?

We understand that you likely get asked by many to donate and support a variety of causes, but we also understand and recognize your alignment with the need for war abolition.

This movement we’re building is about us working collectively to choose a system of security that betters us all — the entire global community — over one in which war and violence reign and continue to devastate lives. We are choosing a system that doesn’t hoard wealth and resources but instead ensures that everyone has access to clean drinking water, food, housing, and healthcare; saves our planet from further destruction and contamination; enshrines ideals around gender, racial, and religious equality; and, helps preserve indigenous lands and histories — free from violence.

I know we have asked for your support in the past. And we couldn’t do any of the work we do without your generosity. But without an immediate infusion of cash, we may not be able to make payroll for our staff even though their salaries are quite modest.

Here’s how you can help right now:

Our cards are on the table and I’d be happy to send you any documentation or information you’d need to help make the case for support or to aid in you making a decision about what level of support to offer.

We’ve accomplished an incredible amount on a modest budget and, with your help, we can continue to do so.

As always, thanks for your commitment to abolishing war once and for all.

In solidarity,

Alex McAdams, Development Director, World BEYOND War

World BEYOND War is a global network of volunteers, chapters, and affiliated organizations advocating for the abolition of the institution of war.
Donate to support our people-powered movement for peace.

Opt-in to mobile updates.  Manage email preferences.  Privacy policy.

Should giant war-profiteering corporations decide what emails you don't want to read? We don't think so either. So, please stop our emails from going into "junk" or "spam" by "white listing," marking as "safe," or filtering to "never send to spam."

World BEYOND War | 513 E Main St #1484 | Charlottesville, VA 22902 USA

Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 11:05 AM
Subject: We're in serious financial trouble