*[Enwl-eng] Kids are buried alive

ENWLine

May 11, 2020, 12:10:46 PM5/11/20
to "ENWL-uni"

For iPhones

Apple’s buying metal from mines where kids are sent to die. 14 desperate families are now taking the tech giant to court.

This landmark case could spell the end for deadly mines -- and finally hold companies like Apple accountable.

Can you chip in $1 to help these families take on the biggest company in the world?

child labor in the D.R. Congo

Donating just takes a moment -- use Paypal or your card.

Donate $1 now

Kids are buried alive -- suffocating in collapsed tunnels -- to mine precious metal for mobiles and laptops.

Now devastated families from the Democratic Republic of Congo are taking Apple, Google, Microsoft, Dell and Tesla to court in the US.

It won’t bring their children back, or allow those with injuries to walk again.

But Vladimir, if you help fight this court case, it will help these grieving families -- and it will force huge tech companies to stop buying metal from death-trap mines.

That’ll put those mines out of business -- and stop any more kids dying for phone batteries.

Can you chip in $1 to the fund to put the tech giants on trial?

Donating just takes a moment -- use Paypal or your card.

Yes I can chip in $1 to stop kids dying in the dark.

Just a kid, Raphael died alone, crushed by rocks. It’s hard to think of his tears and terror, buried in the dark.

When Raphael’s family could no longer afford to send him to school, he did what most kids in his village do. Age 12, he went to work at the nearby cobalt mine for about $1 a day.

In April 2018, he was crouched in a tiny tunnel digging for cobalt, when the roof collapsed. Sixty-two people died that day.

But if we help their families win this legal case, it will force Apple, Google, Dell, Microsoft and Tesla to cut their ties with deadly mines -- helping send them out of business, so no more kids die in the dark.

Donating just takes a moment -- use Paypal or your card.

Yes I can chip in $1 to end deadly cobalt mines.

Apple, Google, Dell, Microsoft and Tesla have hired some of the largest law firms in the country to fight the claims of the mining victims.

The fourteen families from Democratic Republic of Congo are being helped by a Congolese professor, a human rights lawyer -- and you!

They’ve filed the legal case. But there’s an urgent need for donations to pay for:

  • an investigator to chase down the secret supply chains.
  • experts to prove the companies didn’t have to sacrifice the health and lives of children, but could have established safe cobalt mines instead.
  • campaigning to keep up the pressure on tech corporations to stop buying metal from those mines.

It won’t come cheap. But if enough of us chip in, we can help make sure the case is watertight and end deadly mines.

We’ve helped communities around the world win legal battles against huge corporations before. Let’s win this for the family of Raphael and for kids in danger right now.

Donating just takes a moment -- use Paypal or your card.

Yes I can donate $1 to stop kids dying in mines.

Thanks for all that you do,
Vicky and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Top tech firms sued over DR Congo cobalt mining deaths, BBC, 16 Dec 2019

I saw the unbearable grief inflicted on families by cobalt mining. I pray for change, Guardian, 16 Dec 2019

Apple and Google named in US lawsuit over Congolese child cobalt mining death, Guardian, 16 Dec 2019

SumOfUs is a worldwide movement of people like you, working together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable path for our global economy.

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 4:45 PM
Subject: Kids are buried alive