*[Enwl-eng] Glyphosate

ENWLine

Nov 8, 2021, 12:14:55 PM11/8/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Bayer-Monsanto is fighting dirty to keep its toxic pesticide glyphosate in Europe. But our community can secure a pesticide-free future by putting pressure on France in a very delicate moment for Macron’s presidency. For it to work, we need people power at its best.

Hi,

Bayer-Monsanto’s toxic, bee-killing pesticide just won’t go away. [1, 2]

Together, we fought to ban glyphosate in Europe. But EU discussions for it to stay on the market are underway. And Bayer-Monsanto lobbyists are bombarding European leaders with biased studies to make their case. [3]

We have a big opportunity to stop this. French President Emmanuel Macron has already said, when he takes on the highly influential EU presidency in a few weeks, he will push for “an accelerated phase-out of pesticides". [4, 5] With the French presidential elections around the corner, Macron will be under pressure to deliver on his promises.

But unless we keep the pressure up, it could be all talk. With Macron’s political future on the line, he will want to protect his reputation as a European leader who follows through with his commitments, both in France and throughout Europe. And a massive petition from beyond French borders to show him that all of us are watching could make sure he does just that.

Sign now and tell Macron to ban glyphosate

Bayer-Monsanto is working hard behind the scenes to make sure it can continue to sell its poison, glyphosate, beyond December 2022. To avoid a ban, they are relying on flawed, industry-funded studies to prove that glyphosate is “safe”. [6] All this is in spite of recent studies confirming its danger to humans and the environment. [7]

But we won’t let them ruin our future. Discussions are ongoing and many EU leaders have not yet taken their final position. France is a key country in this decision. It is one of the countries which can tip the balance in our favour in the upcoming votes. [8] And with its EU presidency role, Macron can also sway other leaders. [9]

Now it’s our turn to sway Macron, with a European wave that he can’t ignore.

Sign to ban glyphosate in Europe

This is not our first fight for a pesticide-free future. In 2017, together, we built a giant movement to ban glyphosate in Europe. Despite pushes from the EU Commission and Bayer-Monsanto for a new 15-year license, our work as a community meant that it was only renewed for 5 years. And now, what we want is a definite ban. Together we can build an agriculture that protects our health, the environment and farmers. Sign the petition!

With hope,
David (London), Alex (Marseille), Olga (Bologna) and the entire WeMove Europe team