*[Enwl-eng] EU’s plan to quit Russian gas set to pour billions into more gas

1 view

ENWL

May 20, 2022, 8:50:30 AM5/20/22
to "ENWL-uni"
Delaying the inevitable

View email in browser

World leaders claim that they are doing everything they can to end the conflict in Ukraine and move us towards a clean energy future - but the EU new plan to quit Russian gas unveiled yesterday is simply not good enough.

The EU is proposing to funnel 10 billion euros into new fossil fuel infrastructure that is not needed, increasing dependency on fossil gas, deepening energy poverty and pushing us further towards climate breakdown.

The EU has a chance to take the lead on phasing out fossil gas and go further than ever on renewable sources of energy and energy savings. But instead, it is wasting time on building new pipelines and terminals that we don't need, delaying the inevitable.

At this critical time, scientifically backed targets for the reduction of fossil fuels by 2030 are being ignored in favour of short-term profit and questionable quick fixes.

Read more: The EU’s €250 billion gas gamble

We are at a crossroads.

The war in Ukraine must push world leaders to make decisions that put people, peace and our planet front and centre. It’s time for ambitious action.

Onwards,
The Fossil Gas Team

Find the facts. Expose the story. Change the system
We need your support to continue our work.

Follow Global Witness

Twitter logo Facebook logo YouTube logo Instagram logo LinkedIn logo Medium logo

Global Witness, The Green House, 244-254 Cambridge Heath Rd,
London E2 9DA

Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 9:30 PM
Subject: EU’s plan to quit Russian gas set to pour billions into more gas

supporter