*[Enwl-eng] 48 hours left! -- the most important petition we'veever done

1 view

ENWLine

Sep 19, 2014, 4:01:51 PM9/19/14
to "ENWL-uni"
Only 48 hours til the People's Climate March! 1.8 million signed up, but to
hit 2 million this needs us all -- especially active Avaazers. Sign now and
tell everyone.

Dear friends,

I can sincerely say this is the most important petition we've ever done.

Sorry for the language, but one top scientist just warned that we are all
"f*cked" if global warming releases gigantic amounts of methane gas from the
arctic tundra. The UN knows this is one of several catastrophic climate
threats we're facing, and is bringing world leaders to New York for a major
summit on this global emergency.

Hundreds of thousands of us will take to the streets for the People’s
Climate March just before the summit. Let’s make sure that on that day we
deliver the largest Avaaz petition ever, for the only solution: mobilize the
world to shift to 100% clean energy. Click to sign the petition below with
one click and tell everyone:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/100_clean_final/?bUSymfb&signup=1&cl=5872975906&v=45748

Here's the petition:

To national, local, and international leaders:
Scientists warn us that climate change could accelerate beyond our control,
threatening our survival and everything we love. We call on you to keep
global temperature rise under the unacceptably dangerous level of 2 degrees
C, by phasing out carbon pollution to zero. To achieve this, you must
urgently forge realistic global, national and local agreements, to rapidly
shift our societies and economies to 100% clean energy by 2050. Do this
fairly, with support to the most vulnerable among us. Our world is worth
saving and now is our moment to act. But to change everything, we need
everyone. Join us.

Sign it with one click here:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/100_clean_final/?bUSymfb&signup=1&cl=5872975906&v=45748

Whether it's the 'arctic methane bomb', the rapid acidification of our
oceans, or apocalyptic flooding, climate change is the biggest threat
humanity is facing, and we need the biggest petition ever to meet it. If we
make it massive, the number of us who sign will be read out to all leaders
at the summit, published in hundreds of media articles, and be delivered by
our marches worldwide.

100% clean energy is a realistic goal. Already, 20% of the world's
electricity comes from clean energy, and solar power is cheaper than coal in
many countries! We just need to get our leaders to agree to put their foot
on the accelerator.

We're gearing up for the largest climate mobilization in history on
September 21. Already hundreds of events are organised and hundreds of
thousands of people signed up. But the events are designed to deliver our
petition to decision makers. Let's make it the largest call to action ever.
Join now and tell everyone - sign the petition with one click below:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/100_clean_final/?bUSymfb&signup=1&cl=5872975906&v=45748

We're all different, and beautifully diverse. But whoever and wherever we
are, climate change threatens everything we love, and brings all of us
together. Let's come together now.

With hope,

Ricken, Danny, Lisa, Judy, Alex, Iain, and the rest of the Avaaz team

PS - Every signature does count! Add your voice here with a single click:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/100_clean_final/?bUSymfb&signup=1&cl=5872975906&v=45748

MORE INFORMATION:

Climate scientist drops the F-bomb (Salon)
http://www.salon.com/2014/08/06/climate_scientist_drops_the_f_bomb_after_startling_arctic_discovery/

EU to beat 2020 climate targets, split over 2030 ones (Reuters)
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/14/eu-carbon-idUKL6N0O06BG20140514

The most influential climate change paper today remains unknown to most
people (Inside Climate News)
http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20140213/climate-change-science-carbon-budget-nature-global-warming-2-degrees-bill-mckibben-fossil-fuels-keystone-xl-oil?page=show

Floods, storms and searing heat for 2050 as TV forecasters imagine climate
change (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/01/us-climatechange-idUSKBN0GW2OT20140901

IPCC climate change report: averting catastrophe is eminently affordable
(The Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/apr/13/averting-climate-change-catastrophe-is-affordable-says-ipcc-report-un

Renewable energy capacity grows at fastest ever pace (The Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/aug/28/renewable-energy-capacity-grows-fastest-ever-pace

Solar price parity arrives early (MSN)
http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=0040731b-4941-432a-b1bd-3b0a04149068Avaaz.org
is a 38-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the
views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making.
("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in
every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6
continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest
campaigns here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer"> or follow
us on facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Avaaz

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us
via the form at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).