*[Enwl-eng] WBW News & Action: How you become a peace activist

1 view

ENWLine

Jul 14, 2020, 10:58:58 AM7/14/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Image

Peacestock: The 18th Annual Gathering for Peace: #Peacestock2020 -- Theme: Where's the Truth? A Free, Online Zooming Peace Gathering with Veterans For Peace on Saturday, July 18th from 1pm to 4pm CDT (GMT-5) featuring Norman Solomon and Andrew Bacevich, as well as David Swanson and other peace activists, along with inspiring music by Bill McGrath. Sign up here.

Image

Strengthening Solidarity between Social Movements in Venezuela and the United States: A Virtual Meeting on Thursday, July 16, at 2 p.m. ET (GMT-4). Representatives of social movements in Venezuela and the United States will discuss current U.S. and allied interventions against Venezuela and concrete ways we can build greater solidarity to end U.S. imperialism. The four Embassy Protection Collective members who were arrested inside the Venezuelan Embassy in Washington D.C. last year will also speak on the call. The meeting will be conducted in English and Spanish with simultaneous translation. Sign up here.

Image

War and Nuclear Weapons: Films and Discussions: Join us for this series of discussions of films! We recommend that you view each film ahead of time. Then you can join us for the live (virtual) discussions. Learn more here.

Image

Hibakusha Remembrance Webinar: On Thursday August 6th at noon Pacific Daylight Time: attend, and invite your friends to attend, an online presentation by Dr. Mary-Wynne Ashford, Dr. Jonathan Down, and youth activist Magritte Gordaneer. In the hour-long session, with time for Q&A, these experts will address the bombings, the public health impact of nuclear war, the proliferation of nuclear weapons, the state of international law and other matters to help us all make meaningful the vow: “Never Again.” RSVP.

Image

Kateri Peace Conference: Bending the Arc: Striving for Peace, Justice in an Age of Endless War. August 21 at 7-9 p.m. ET (GMT-4) and August 22 at 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. ET (GMT-4). Via Zoom. Join Steve Breyman, John Amidon, Maureen Beillargeon Aumand, Medea Benjamin, Kristin Christman, Lawrence Davidson, Stephen Downs, James Jennings, Kathy Kelly, Jim Merkel, Ed Kinane, Nick Mottern, Rev. Felicia Parazaider, Bill Quigley, David Swanson, Ann Wright, and Chris Antal. The speakers are all authors of a new book of the same name as the conference. Reserve your tickets here.

Image

We received an incredible response to our call for talent for the Global Skills Exchange which is officially set to launch next Monday, July 20th! We have some great donations, so keep an eye out for an upcoming email with details about how you can learn how to play the piano or saxophone, transform your life by working with a life coach, learn traditional German cooking, receive multiple therapeutic sessions, learn to knit, attend a virtual poetry event, learn to paint, become conversational in Kichwa, dance, take part in a War Tax Resistance 101 workshop, or learn the five elements as understood in traditional Chinese medicine . . . among many other incredible and fun opportunities that have been so generously donated—all of this while supporting WBW's efforts to abolish war!

Image

How does anyone become a peace activist? Write down how you did (in any language) and submit it to us for publication here. Read examples from David Swanson and Dave Lindorff. See also our numerous Volunteer Spotlights for inspiration (especially if you're not a peace activist yet): Eleanor, Marilyn, Bob, Carolyn, Helen, Eliza, Marc Eliot Stein, Barry Sweeney, Rivera Sun, Heinrich Buecker, Al Mytty, Leah Bolger, John Pegg, Tim Pluta, Tracy Oakley,
Liz Remmerswaal,

Darienne Hetherman, Bill Geimer.

Image

Find a public space that you care about, that’s beautiful or important to you, a shrine, a site of conscience, a place of engagement or of contemplation. Take your photo there with a message against war or for peace. Feel free to make use of this gear or to make your own. Post your photos to social media with the hashtag #worldbeyondwar or email them to us.

Image

Find upcoming events on the events list and map here. Most of them are now online events that can be participated in from anywhere on earth.

Image

Recent Webinars:

Image
Image
Image
Image

News from Around the World:

South Africa Arms Industry Is Dodging Rules To Sell Weapons To Turkey

An Open Letter By Setsuko Thurlow

AFRICOM Enforces US Colonial Project

Breakups and Leaks

Legislation in Congress Would Require Flying Flag With Pentagon on It

Book Review: 20 Dictators Currently Supported by the U.S.

The Vow From Hiroshima Should Be From Everywhere

On An Alternative Global Security System: A View From the Margins

20 Congress Members Who Understand What’s Needed

Open Letter: US Navy Base In Northern Marianas Will Harm People And Environment

Video: David Swanson on Drop the MIC Live! With Sen. Nina Turner

Talk Nation Radio: Greg Mitchell on the Origins of Myths About Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Key U.S. Ally Indicted for Organ Trade Murder Scheme

US News Falsely Reports That North Korea Threatened to Nuke US

The Democrats’ Disastrous, Militarist Climate Plan

Video: Ajamu Baraka on Race and International Relations

Corruption And The Arms Trade

Killer Cop Got Start At Dictator-Training Military Base

Months Later, U.N. Security Council Backs Call For Coronavirus Truce

The Beginning of the End

End The Transfer of US Military Equipment To Police (DOD 1033 Program)

Cut The Bloated War Budget: An Open Letter to US Senators

Presence of UN Police Associated With Nonviolent Protests in Post-Civil War Countries

Some People in The Villages Oppose Racism and Violence

Talk Nation Radio: Nina Turner Says Wrap Your Mind Around How Much Is Spent on Military Industrial Complex

WorldBEYONDWar is a global network of volunteers, activists, and allied organizations advocating for the abolition of the very institution of war. Our success is driven by a people-powered movement –
support our work for a culture of peace.

World BEYOND War 513 E Main St #1484 Charlottesville, VA 22902 USA

Privacy policy.
Checks must be made out to "World BEYOND War / AFGJ" or we can't deposit them.

Sent: Monday, July 13, 2020 7:01 PM
Subject: WBW News & Action: How you become a peace activist