*[Enwl-eng] Death blow for the Amazon?

ENWL

Apr 7, 2021, 11:20:02 AM4/7/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Bolsonaro is using pandemic chaos as cover to strike a death blow to the Amazon, turning protected Indigenous land over to mining companies.

We have only a few weeks before his devious plan comes to a vote — can you chip in to cover polling, actions, and other urgent work needed to protect the Amazon?

A photo of a squirrel monkey.

If you’ve saved your payment information with SumOfUs, your donation will go through immediately:

Donate $3 nowDonate another amount

Bolsonaro is about to strike a death blow to the Amazon.

Brazil’s President has always wanted to open the forest for mining — and now he’s using pandemic chaos as cover to finally turn over thousands of acres of sacred Indigenous land and protected rainforest to predatory mining companies.

A vote is weeks away.

Fortunately Bolsonaro’s plan is deeply unpopular with Brazilians. If we can use smart tactics like polling and actions to quickly ramp up pressure on Congress, we can stop them from going along with it — but we need to act fast. Can you chip in urgently to protect the Amazon?

If you’ve saved your payment information with SumOfUs, your donation will go through immediately:

Donate $3 nowDonate another amount

Bolsonaro says it’s his “dream” to do this, and ever since he came into power everyone from mining giants to small-time prospectors has been waiting and agitating for the chance to plunder the treasures of the Amazon.

Now Bolsonaro’s own incompetent policies on Covid have led to the largest health system collapse in the country’s history — and he’s using it as a distraction to finally follow through on his pillaging promise.

If this goes ahead, Indigenous lands and fragile rainforest that have been constitutionally protected for decades will be opened up to the highest bidder. It would be a death blow for the Amazon’s people and ecosystem.

But not if we stop him. And that means showing Congress that Brazilians still care about the Amazon, even in Covid chaos, by getting the issue back in the news with elections fast approaching. Can you chip in to help do everything we can to save the Amazon from Bolonsaro’s sneak attack?

If you’ve saved your payment information with SumOfUs, your donation will go through immediately:

Donate $3 nowDonate another amount

Our community has stood with the Amazon’s Indigenous populations over and over again, most recently helping the Tupinamba peoples demarcate their land to ensure it could be legally protected. But Bolsonaro wants to undo all that work by throwing open the gates to the forest — let’s make sure his efforts are in vain.

Thanks for all that you do,
Danny and the SumOfUs team

More information:

Brazil sees record number of bids to mine illegally on Indigenous lands, Mongabay. 13 November 2020

The Companies and Individuals Attempting to Mine on Indigenous Lands in Brazil, Apublica. 20 February 2020.

SumOfUs is a worldwide movement of people like you, working together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable path for our global economy.

Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2021 6:19 PM
Subject: Death blow for the Amazon?