*[Enwl-eng] Girls are breaking the rules

1 view

ENWL

Jan 25, 2023, 8:02:03 AM1/25/23
to "ENWL-uni"
Dear friends, We just received this letter from Afghanistan:"My name is Gulnoor* and I'm fifteen years old. It's illegal for girls to go to school here. My freedom, my hopes, and my dreams were taken from me the day schools closed.  But I won't let that stop me -- I want to be a doctor one day. So now, I go to an underground school for girls. We learn English, maths, computers -- but biology is my favourite. I'm scared the Taliban will find us. But life without learning is a dead end."Like Gulnoor, thousands of girls are refusing to give up hope. In the face of terrifying violence and restrictions, they are bravely defying the Taliban, slipping through the streets to attend secret, underground schools.Taught by women forced out of employment, these classrooms are the seeds of resistance -- but the number is severely limited, and as poverty soars, many could close. We have to help! Avaaz has contacted the teachers, and we've developed a plan to rapidly expand the network of underground schools. Now our movement could get hundreds more girls in school, funding teachers' salaries, books, and computers, in a defiant stand against oppression. Being a girl in Afghanistan is terrifying -- but they are finding the cracks. Let's throw open the doors of learning, give girls the best chance we can, and accelerate our urgent campaigns for women's rights. Donate what you can now:
Take Action Now!
[...]

I'LL DONATE $2
I'LL DONATE $3
I'LL DONATE $4
I'LL DONATE $5
I'LL DONATE $8
OTHER AMOUNT
Today only one in three girls can read and write in Afghanistan. This pushes girls to the very bottom rung in society -- brutally policed in the streets, increasingly barred from work, and barely any legal protections at home.

It can seem hopeless, but thousands of girls are refusing to give up. In back rooms and basements, they're secretly soaking up knowledge to keep hope for the future alive. Now, from across the planet, our movement could help many, many more.

We cannot look away as the Taliban tightens its grip. Let's get more girls in school and intensify our campaign for women's rights -- if enough of us chip in, we will:
  • Expand and set up a series of new underground schools across the country;
  • Fund hundreds of girls to access education, providing books, computers, and learning materials;
  • Work with governments around the world to guarantee the right to free education in international law; and,
  • Accelerate new global campaigns on gender equity -- such as fighting for girl's education and an end to gender-based violence.
Everything Avaaz does is 100% funded by people like you -- the more we raise, the more schools we can fund, and the more girls we can help. Donate what you can now:
I'LL DONATE $2
I'LL DONATE $3
I'LL DONATE $4
I'LL DONATE $5
I'LL DONATE $8
OTHER AMOUNT
The picture in Afghanistan looks bleak. But beneath the surface, courage and determination are thriving. They take the shape of a young girl, carrying her books to a secret school, yearning for freedom and knowledge. The women of tomorrow are rising -- and with them, hope for the future. Let's give them all the help we can!

With fierce hope and endless determination,

Camille, Adela, Sarah, Anneke, Ruth, Kaitlin and the whole team at Avaaz

*Note: Gulnoor's name has been changed to protect her identity.

Avaaz is a 70-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500