*[Enwl-eng] Bike mania: 1 - Fossil fuel: 0

1 view

ENWLine

Oct 10, 2020, 12:58:19 PM10/10/20
to "ENWL-uni"

A bike revolution is happening across Europe. New sources of hope are popping up across the continent. But Fossil Fuel companies don't want to let go of their profits and their polluting ways. Ask MEPs to lock fossil fuel companies out of this recovery plan.

Hi,

Did you know that a bike revolution is happening right now everywhere in Europe? Or that during the COVID-19 pandemic, renewable sources have overtaken coal, oil and gas in the production of EU electricity for the first time? [1]

The big polluting companies know this, and they're fighting hard to keep alive an old system that destroys our planet and lines their pockets.

Next week, our MEPs (Members of European Parliament) vote on the European Union's plan for hundreds of billions of euros to recover from this crisis.

Thanks to continued pressure from people like us, they want to keep fossil fuels out of the recovery plan. [2] But lobbyists of fossil fuel industries are freaking out. They have upped their pressure on MEPs to get this money back and protect their outdated economic model which is destroying the planet.

MEPs could give into this pressure

This is where you come in. MEPs represent us, it’s their job to listen to us. So, if our community tells them that we can't turn back now, there's a good chance that can we turn this crisis into a turning point, together.

Can you contact MEPs - by email and Twitter - to tell them to lock fossil fuel companies out of this recovery plan?

Send a tweet to MEPs to block fossil fuels
Send an email to MEPs to free us from fossil fuels

The best can come from this crisis, where you, and all of us enjoy sustainable ways of living. New sources of hope are popping up all over Europe in response to this crisis.

Lobbyists of fossil fuel companies see this. And they’re scared. They want to protect their profits and keep most of the European recovery plan money to fund their businesses. [3] This would keep us in the same system responsible for the current environmental emergency.

Several MEP groups like the Greens and Social Democrats are still resisting the pressure. But liberal and right MEPs could side with these big companies and win the vote.

We’ve worked too hard to let this happen. These are our representatives, and they need a clear and bold signal from their voters. Can you contact MEPs and ask them to exclude fossil fuel from this recovery plan and safeguard our clean and bright future?

Send a tweet to MEPs to block fossil fuels
Send an email to MEPs to free us from fossil fuels

We know that when WeMove members take action together, and join up with partners and other movements, we can convince EU leaders to stand up for a better future. Last November, we pushed the European Parliament to declare the climate emergency. Earlier this year we helped get a recovery plan of several hundred billion euros.

MEPs now have all the keys in hands to turn their words into action. Can you tell MEPs to do the right thing, and back a green recovery plan?

David (London), Alex (Marseilles), Virginia (Madrid), and the entire WeMove Europe team