*[Enwl-eng] Mothers vs Lloyd’s

enwl

Jun 20, 2022, 1:31:18 PM6/20/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Last week, mums, dads, carers and children made an amazingly powerful Father’s Day appeal to Lloyd’s of London Chair, Bruce Carnegie-Brown, himself a father of four, calling on him to stop enabling dangerous fossil fuel projects.

UK climate group Mother’s Rise Up (MRU) created a spectacular performance outside Lloyd’s of London (watch the whole performance below), using song and dance to call on Bruce to follow the example of George Banks, the financier father in the Mary Poppins film, whose sudden musical epiphany made him give up the soulless pursuit of profit and pay attention to the needs of his children.

We know there is a loving father inside Bruce Carnegie-Brown who struggles to accept the idea of selling his kids’ future to fossil fuel barons.

Bruce, stop insuring wrecking fossil projects, you’ll see it’s even easier than to say “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”.

Vladimir, join the creative and passionate mothers taking on Lloyd’s and call on Bruce to stop fueling our planet’s destruction and insure all kids’ future instead!

I’ll call on Bruce Carnegie-Brown on social media, sending him the video of Mothers Rise Up’s inspiring action!

SEND YOUR TWEET

Lloyd’s is rapidly becoming an insurance marketplace of last resort, (re)insuring projects that many of its European counterparts refuse to touch because of their colossal climate impacts.

Insurers are key players in those projects : without insurance, coal, oil and gas projects simply can’t go ahead, making Lloyd’s a key enabler of the fossil fuel industry, deeply involved in climate and ecological breakdown too.

Every day, the leadership of Lloyd’s, including Bruce Carnegie-Brown and CEO John Neal, delay climate action and invest in fossil fuels, is a day spent feeding the climate crisis, ignoring the urgent needs of all children, the planet and humanity.

But like the career-focused, inattentive Dad, George Banks in the Mary Poppins film, underneath the grey suit, there is caring and willing core to every member of the Lloyd’s executive team. They just need to find it!

Vladimir, let’s help Bruce have his musical epiphany soon! All of Lloyd’s profits will never be able to buy fresh air, clean water, and bearable temperatures for all our children. Only climate action will!

Let’s make sure Bruce gets this Father’s Day message!

Vladimir, ask Bruce Carnegie-Brown to finally STOP insuring all new coal, oil and gas now and insure our children’s future instead! #InsureOurFuture

 SEND YOUR TWEET

Thanks for all that you do,
Leyla, Charles and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Full Mother's Rise Up Flashmob Video
Mothers Rise Up.

​Lloyd’s of London targeted by Mary Poppins-themed climate change protest
Insurance Times. 14 June 2022

Dancing mother protest urges Lloyds of London to stop underwriting fossil fuels
Bright Green. 13 June 2022

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Monday, June 20, 2022 11:02 AM
Subject: Mothers vs Lloyd’s