*[Enwl-eng] Invitation to August Free-flowing Rivers Strategy Discussions and Climate Declaration Update

ENWL

Jul 29, 2022, 11:21:57 AM7/29/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear colleagues,

We hope this message finds you well. We are reaching out because your organization endorsed the Rivers for Climate Declaration last year ahead of COP26 asking the U.N. to reject harmful dams as a climate solution. On behalf of the organizations that drafted the declaration, thank you for your support!

We are writing to provide an update about the impact the Declaration has had (see update below) and to invite you to participate in a planning discussion to support free-flowing rivers around the world.

The goals of this strategic discussion will be to:

  • amplify the voices and demands of river-dependent communities in global climate policy, particularly during the upcoming UNFCCC COP27 in November,
  • develop common positions and approaches to the use of hydropower in countries’ Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and international climate finance,
  • develop strategies to prevent and remove harmful dams and water diversions, focusing on strategies that benefit multiple countries

To this end, we will host separate online meetings in Spanish and English:

  • English Free Flowing Rivers Discussion, August 24, 2022, 3pm CET via Zoom (Register here)
  • Spanish Free Flowing Rivers Discussion, August 31, 2022, 9am PST via Zoom (Register here)

If you would like to host a similar strategy meeting in another language or have questions or suggestions, please email us at rivers4...@gmail.com

Background & Update about the Declaration

If you’ll recall, the Declaration was signed by 350 civil society organizations from around the world. The Declaration fed into and was supported by an accompanying petition signed by over 2000 individuals (see UnDam.org).

Prior to COP26, we launched the declaration during a press conference in September ahead of the International Hydropower Association publishing its own pro-hydro declaration. At COP26 itself in Glasgow, we presented the Declaration to the UNFCCC secretariat, the head of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), the CEO of the International Hydropower Association (IHA) during their marquee event, and the head of the International Energy Agency’s (IEA) sustainability division. As a follow-up, a group of us met the IEA to educate them about why their calls to double hydropower capacity would in fact worsen the climate crisis.

We highlighted the Declaration and its key messages during a number of events we helped lead, including an official side event in Glasgow on alternatives to hydropower to address the climate crisis, and an event at the People’s Climate Summit, where we connected with climate activists new to the topic of river protection.

The Declaration’s key concerns and recommendations have been supported by a joint statement on large dams issued by multiple UN Special Rapporteurs, led by the UN Special Rapporteur for the Right to Water, Pedro Arrojo. The statement reiterated key points of the Declaration by calling on UN bodies, financiers, and governments to reject an expansion of hydropower to address the climate crisis in recognition of the severe human rights impacts of dams.

Finally, we carried our message in several marches during COP26. Here are links to articles and photos by organizations that drafted the declaration.

Next Steps

We hope this information is useful and that we can collaborate in the future to support free-flowing rivers. You can email us at rivers4...@gmail.com with any questions or ideas.

Sincerely,

International Rivers

Waterkeeper Alliance

Paddle Tribal Waters

Rios to Rivers

Counter Current

Water Climate Trust

International Rivers

344 20th Street Oakland, CA 94612 USA
+1 (510) 848-1155internationalrivers.org
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedInInstagram | Flickr | YouTube