*[Enwl-eng] Before the last elephant falls

1 view

ENWLine

May 23, 2018, 11:17:18 AM5/23/18
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends,

In our lifetime, we could live in a world with no elephants, rhinos, or gorillas.

It’s heartbreaking -- but there’s one group of heroes risking everything to stop this slide towards extinction: wildlife rangers.

They save thousands of endangered animals every single day. It’s incredibly dangerous work -- every four days another ranger is killed. And they do it with almost no training and equipment -- half of them don’t even have boots!

Now we have an amazing chance to revolutionise ranger forces all over the world.

The world’s top rangers are asking for our help to train and equip thousands of elite protectors. 300 rangers with this training virtually stopped elephant poaching in their area. With our support they can deploy 1,000 new Wildlife Guardians to Africa’s worst poaching hotspots every single year!

This could be one of Avaaz’s greatest legacies to the world -- a global wildlife protection force supported by people everywhere. If 50,000 of us donate right now, we’ll have the first Guardians on the ground in months! An elephant is murdered by poachers every 26 minutes -- so chip in now:

  Without rangers, we’d have lost the fight for our elephants, rhinos, and other wildlife long ago. But we’re still losing these majestic creatures at alarming rates -- 3 rhinos a day in South Africa alone! -- and scientists warn that if we don’t stop the slide to extinction soon, it will be too late.

Together, we can turn it around, but we don’t have much time.

That’s why this plan is so important: in just one year, we can train enough rangers to help protect 124,000 elephants on 25 MILLION acres! Then, we’ll increase our impact by taking this killer idea to ranger forces all over the world. Rangers have been dreaming of this for years -- chip in to make it happen right now!

It’s heartbreaking to imagine that our grandchildren could never know these magnificent giants. The clock is ticking to save the wildlife we love -- and rangers are the way to do it. Avaaz is probably the only movement in the world who can raise enough, fast enough for this work to get underway immediately. Let’s make it happen.

With hope and determination,

Allison, Bert, Ricken, Martyna, Marigona and the rest of the Avaaz team

More information:

Another day, another dead wildlife ranger. Where is the outrage? (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/dec/10/protect-wildlife-rangers-murder

The Thin Green Line Foundation - Projects
https://thingreenline.org.au/our-projects/

A Forgotten Step in Saving African Wildlife: Protecting the Rangers (NY Times)
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/science/a-forgotten-step-in-saving-african-wildlife-protecting-the-rangers.html

Rangers across Africa Feel Lack of Equipment, Training, and Support (WWF)
https://www.worldwildlife.org/press-releases/new-survey-rangers-across-africa-feel-lack-of-equipment-training-and-support

Avaaz is a 46-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:44 AM
Subject: Before the last elephant falls