*[Enwl-eng] Our forests are burning

1 view

ENWLine

Apr 12, 2022, 12:08:22 PM4/12/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Exposed! The biomass industry is burning trees, a new investigation reveals. They’re lying to us that they only burn leftover wood. Send the investigation to your MEP and energy minister now. They have the power to stop funding the burning of our forests.

Right now, the biomass industry is burning trees in Europe and we risk losing our precious forests.

The European Union currently funds the biomass industry to burn wood for energy,  but they’ve been told the industry uses leftover or dead wood - the wood that falls off trees, or bark, sawdust and wood residues. Not live trees.

Using satellite images, a new shocking investigation from ‘Forest Defender Alliance’ on forest logging exposes these industry lies. [1]  It comes at a perfect time. Our representatives in the European Parliament (MEPs) and energy minister will soon decide the fate of our forests. [2]

Let’s stop them from funding the burning of forests. As we cut Russian oil and gas, this becomes even more pressing: we’ll look to alternative energy sources and the biomass industry could start burning even more trees. [3]

If we can get this report on the tables and in their inboxes in time, we have a chance to get them on our side. Share the investigation and reveal the industry’s lies to your MEP and energy minister now.

Tweet at MEPs and energy ministers now!
Share this Facebook Post
Email MEPs and energy ministers now!

You can read the report here.

With this investigation in our hands, we can shed light on how the biomass industry is destroying our forests to burn them. We must speak up so that politicians don’t fall for industry lies.

Through 50 pages of satellite images and photographic evidence, here are the most important findings we want MEPs and our energy minister to see:

  1. Massive power plants from Spain to Sweden, from France to Finland are burning trees.
  2. The investigation analysed wood used in multiple energy facilities across Europe. The images show evidence of wood sourced directly from forests being burnt for energy.
  3. Because burning trees counts as ‘green energy’ the industry receives billions in EU subsidies. [4]

INSERT Image from your country with a frame please.

Our forests should be allowed to restore and to grow old. Take 1 minute to join this action and share this report with your MEP and energy minister today.

Tweet at MEPs and energy ministers now!
Share this Facebook Post
Email MEPs and energy ministers now!

Thanks to our campaign you, and close to 300,000 people who have signed the petition. Now it’s time to make our representatives aware. Share the investigation now.

With thanks,

David (London), Virginia (Madrid), Mika (Bordeaux) and the entire WeMove team

PS: If we want to have an economy that prevents the climate crisis, the last thing we should do with wood is burn it. But half of the wood logged in the EU’s forests is burned right away. This is even worse for the climate than burning fossil fuels. [5] Share the investigation with your representatives now.