*[Enwl-eng] A ruthless business

1 view

ENWL

Aug 12, 2022, 12:37:48 PM8/12/22
to "ENWL-uni"

This is our chance to end suffering on ALL factory farms

Fish farming is a ruthless business: Over one billion fish are farmed each year in the EU among parasites, dead fish and starvation. And just like farmed land animals, fish can feel pain, fear, and stress. We can make sure fish are farmed more humanely. But we only have a few more weeks. If we reach 100,000 signatures, European leaders cannot ignore us!

Here is the email we sent last time about our campaign:

 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
Farmed fish in Greece left to die on ice struggle for over an hour causing injuries and colouring the water pink, some are then packed alive.

Factory fish farming is a ruthless business where fish suffer disease, stress, and painful death. The EU is making key changes to laws that protect farmed animals. With an uproar from us, they could include fish welfare too!

Every day a diver swims the depths of the sea to visit his friend, an octopus. The octopus doesn’t swim away but moves up to meet him. They wrap arms and tentacles. The diver learns that octopuses are far more like us than they are different. They crave bonds, have memories, and experience emotions too. [1]

And it’s not just the octopus, all fish can feel emotions as stress, fear and pain.

Despite this, fish farming is a ruthless business. Industrial fisheries farm over one billion fish each year in the EU. [2] They cram fish into parasite-infested underwater cages alongside dead fish. [3]

Even with the growing evidence of suffering in these factory fish farms, no one has taken steps to improve fish welfare. Right now, the European Commission is open to making ambitious changes for the welfare of farmed animals. [4] It's a huge opportunity. With an uproar from people like us, we can push our leaders to include fish welfare!

But we don’t have much time to act. Our partners already have the voices of 60.000 Europeans calling for fish welfare, but they’ve asked for our help. If we reach 100,000 signatures, we will have a much stronger chance to convince the Commission to protect ALL animals, including fish. Will you sign?

Factory farmed fish in crammed cages are more susceptible to disease and injury. They are usually starved - for up to two weeks or more - before they are transported and slaughtered. Industrial fisheries then slaughter them with methods that cause immense suffering such as cutting the gills while they are still conscious or leaving them to suffocate. [5]

But European fish can be farmed more humanely. Through more space and death without suffering, fish would be free from stress, pain and disease. [6]

We have fought for the welfare of farmed animals before and won! Last year thousands of us spoke up to protect millions of animals in Europe that spend most of their lives in a cage, sometimes from birth until death. And we convinced the EU to phase out cages in land animal farming across Europe. [7]

Now we can end more suffering by speaking out for the welfare of fish!

Thank you for adding your voice,

David (London), Rachel (Brussels),
and the whole WeMove Europe Team

PS Did you know that industrial fisheries feed wild fish to the caged fish? By changing how we farm European fish, we would also be saving our seas and oceans by making sure that wild fish are sustainably caught. Sign now.