*[Enwl-eng] Gallon Environment Letter v17 n09 Honoured ReaderEdition

ENWLine

May 1, 2013, 1:22:26 PM5/1/13
to "ENWL-uni"
THE GALLON ENVIRONMENT LETTER
Canadian Institute for Business and the Environment
Fisherville, Ontario, Canada
Tel. 416 410-0432, Fax: 416 362-5231
Editorial: edi...@gallonletter.ca
Vol. 17, No. 9, April 30, 2013

ABOUT THIS ISSUE

In this issue GallonLetter looks at partnerships, a topic that attracts much
attention and support but which is not always as free of risk or as mutually
beneficial as proponents may suggest. Our lead article suggests one
indicator for evaluating campaigns which promote products and raise funds
for environmental or social ngos. We look at one of the campaigns which is
currently running and, in an editorial entitled Copyrighting Nature, we ask
whether companies that raid the global commons for images and other aspects
to support their advertising should have to pay a license fee to ensure the
protection of those species and ecosystems.

One of the business / ngo partnerships which may be running into trouble is
the Canadian Boreal Forest Agreement. We report on what is happening.
Public-private partnerships (P3) are another form of partnership which is
not always popular in Canada but which appear to be taking off in other
countries. We look at some of the issues influencing P3 in water and
wastewater. Community benefits can sometimes be a way to foster company /
community partnerships. We look at a couple of examples. Partnerships can
also exist in sharing of such things as cars, tools, and accommodation. We
ask whether dis-ownership is a growing trend?

Eco-industrial parks are another form of partnership among businesses. Such
tools as 3D printing allows for new kinds of relationships between
designers, manufacturers, and customers. These new relationship may lead to
products with smaller lifecycle environmental footprints.

Beyond partnerships, though still related, we report on a new OECD report on
Base Erosion and Profit Shifting and Canada's withdrawal from the UN
desertification convention and its international and Canadian implications.
We review a new Al Gore book Future: Six Drivers of Global Change and we
report on the new ban on animal tested cosmetics in the European Union. One
company is helping to green the crafts sector, though Gallonletter is not
sure how well they succeed, an article in Toronto's NOW newspaper claims
that "An economically effective, fair-minded, compassionate economy...is
just about ready to be scaled up and rolled out", and a situation in Kansas
illustrates something that GallonLetter has repeatedly noted: when industry
wins less environmental regulation it often ends up with a more challenging
situation that they had before. Some folks never learn!

It is anticipated that the next issue of Gallon Environment Letter will
focus on Responsible Capitalism. Until then, enjoy this issue and keep
coming with those Letters to the Editor at edi...@gallonletter.ca. Whether
we agree with them or not, we will publish a selection of those that address
issues likely to be of interest to our reader.

READING GALLONDAILY

If you enjoy Gallon Environment Letter or find it useful for your work or
interests, may we recommend the GallonDaily report. Found at
http://www.gallondaily.com , GallonDaily provides short articles and reports
on topics of particular interest to green businesses. One article appears
almost every day Monday to Friday - we recommend visiting at least once a
week. Our real enthusiasts can also sign up for email notification as new
articles are posted.
Recent topics include:
a.. Trump golf club found guilty of misleading claims
b.. Environmental charity turns to Ebay auction for fundraising
c.. London UK removes diesel cars from green vehicle benefit
d.. Group targets "dirty dozen" pesticide residue fruits and veg
e.. Organic fertilizer fraud: US courts get tough
f.. New York City demonstrates progress in lowering carbon emissions
g.. Pressure on major US retailers to get rid of toxic substances in
household products
h.. St. Albert: A good model for municipal environment reporting
i.. New UK report slags biofuels
j.. Safer Alternatives bill looks set for emergency implementation in
Massachusetts
k.. Recycling of drinking water gains attention
l.. UK water management conference sounds alarm bells
m.. For those who find flying unsettling, scientists find that it may well
get much worse
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copyright C Canadian Institute for Business and the Environment
119 Concession 6 Rd Fisherville ON N0A 1G0 Canada. Fisherville & Toronto

Send Letters to the Editor, for possible publication, to
edi...@gallonletter.ca

All rights reserved. The Gallon Environment Letter (GL for short) presents
information for general interest and does not endorse products, companies or
practices. Information including articles, letters and guest columns may be
from sources expressing opinions not shared by the Canadian Institute for
Business and the Environment. Readers must verify all information for
themselves before acting on it. Advertising or sponsorship of one or more
issues consistent with sustainable development goals is welcome and
identified as separate from editorial content. Subscriptions for
organizations $184 + HST = $207.92. For individuals (non-organizational
emails and paid with non-org funds please) $30 includes HST. Subscription
includes 12 issues about a year or more.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx