*[Enwl-eng] Storytelling Powers Citizen Action

1 view

ENWL

Dec 16, 2022, 6:29:50 AM12/16/22
to "ENWL-uni"
While telling great stories is at the heart of everything we do, we also believe that information alone won’t win the change we need.

The Story of Stuff Project
ban single use plastic and extended producer responsibility

Hi Vladimir,

After a successful year of campaigning against runaway plastic production and consumption, we’re excited to share with you what our campaigns team has planned for 2023!

The plastics problem continues to be exceptionally and uniquely emblematic of the downsides of the take, make, waste economy. And, our Community – that’s you! – have indicated that solving it is a clear priority. So, plastics will be a central focus of our campaigning next year, as we take on various stages in plastic’s nefarious lifecycle. In other words, we’ll tackle extraction and production through our support of grassroots groups fighting the petrochemical buildout in the Gulf Coast and the Ohio River Valley; recycling, through our work to modernize the bottle bill in California and beyond; and incineration, with our upcoming documentary Burning Injustice, in support of an ongoing campaign to end state subsidies to Modesto’s incineration plant and shut down the facility for good. Will you pitch in to help us field high-impact campaigns in 2023 and beyond?

To top it all off, we’ll be closely following the Global Plastics Treaty negotiations, pushing for an ambitious, binding agreement. And, we’ll bring transparency to a typically opaque process, with a video explainer to break it all down: we’ll assess which countries are on board, which need to be pushed and the contours of their disputes; we’ll discuss the role global corporations are poised to play in the negotiations and the ways in which advocates are pushing back; and we’ll explore ways for ordinary citizens to hold their leaders’ feet to the fire.

While telling great stories is at the heart of everything we do, we also believe that information alone won’t win the change we need. So we couple our storytelling with citizen action. Our campaigns are meant to both have a strategic impact on the way we make, use and throw away Stuff as well as inspire our Community to learn, participate and grow.

Will you make an
end-of-year contribution

Support our campaigns team in 2023 and beyond

pitch in

Looking ahead, we’re especially excited to provide you more opportunities to participate in changemaking. Building off the citizen science project and virtual sessions we held this year with members of our California Community, we will continue to develop webinars, trainings, and community town halls that you can virtually join from anywhere in the world.

Of course, fighting plastics isn’t the only thing on our Community’s agenda. We’ll continue to support Right to Repair bills around the country and this coming spring we’re hoping to ramp up our support for the labor, environmental and other networks putting the heat on Amazon. More on that soon.

Likewise, our ongoing campaign to Unbottle Water, with its intersections at plastics, environmental justice and climate change-induced drought, will continue to be a focus into next year. While we await the final ruling in our California Water Board case against water bottling giant BlueTriton, which continues to remove tens of millions of gallons of water from the San Bernardino National Forest, we’ll keep pressing the U.S. Forest Service to explain why it gave the company a new special use permit recently despite the apparent lack of a complete application!

As you can see, we’ve got our work cut out for us, but we’re confident you’ll have our backs – like you have for the past 15 years! Pitch in today and keep our engine of changemaking going strong.

Thank you for sticking with us,

Sam and The Story of Stuff Team

Join the conversation!
Youtube Instagram Facebook"" Twitter

The Story of Stuff Project runs on donations from people like you. Please make a one-time contribution, or better yet, sustain our work by signing up to be a monthly donor. Any amount makes a difference!
Donate

Story of Stuff logo

The Story of Stuff Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
Donations to The Story of Stuff Project are tax-deductible to the
extent allowed by law in the United States.

visit storyofstuff.org

Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2022 1:30 PM
Subject: Storytelling Powers Citizen Action