*[Enwl-eng] Greetings from the Progressive Hub team at RootsAction

ENWLine

Oct 16, 2021, 1:15:41 PM10/16/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Welcome to our first email providing highlights of the latest at Progressive Hub! We hope you’re finding unique value in our blend of important updates for progressives and opportunities to take action. If you have suggestions, just reply to this email. Thank you.

The U.S. nuclear weapons program isn’t in the news much, which is a shame given how expensive and extremely dangerous it is. For a sense of just how costly -- and who benefits the most -- read the summary of a report authored by William Hartung, director of the Arms and Security Program at the Center for International Policy.

Progressives watching the reconciliation debate in Congress were somewhat surprised that the issue of funding Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense system came up forcefully. The vast majority of Democrats -- and all Democratic senators -- voted for including the additional funding. But Bernie Sanders got something in return for his vote: more aid for the long-suffering residents of the Gaza Strip. Was it worth it? Read a cogent analysis here. We’d love to get your opinion.

The drama of the two big spending bills currently before Congress isn’t over. But something historic is happening. The Congressional Progressive Caucus has been using its power to keep those bills together as a unified package, while conservative Democrats (aka Senators Manchin and Sinema) are getting enormous heat as spoilers. It’s an unusual position for the U.S. parliamentary left, and a piece on Progressive Hub offers important insights.

Pat Elder of MilitaryPoisons.org has written a remarkable article about newly released Department of Defense figures on pollution from military bases. We’re talking about PFAS contamination, a class of chemicals that takes a long time to break down and interacts organically with animals, crops, and humans. The scale of military pollution ought to scare anyone -- but especially the many people who live near the 95 installations covered in the report.

You can check out all these stories and more at Progressive Hub. And remember: on the same page you can immediately take quick action in response to almost every article we post.

Sincerely,
The Progressive Hub Team at RootsAction

www.RootsAction.org

Donate button Facebook button Twitter button

empowered by Salsa

Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 10:18 PM
Subject: Greetings from the Progressive Hub team at RootsAction