*[Enwl-eng] Recovery plans need to fix what’s broken and demand justice

1 view

ENWLine

Jun 24, 2020, 11:03:28 AM6/24/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Hi,

In July, the people who control the budgets of the world’s 20 richest countries will meet to discuss how they spend trillions in public money on economic recovery and stimulus packages.

Their decisions can set the world on the path to a safe and just recovery from the interwoven crises of racial injustice, COVID, economic upheaval and climate breakdown hitting us all at once.

So act now:

There are trillions of dollars of our money on the table and we want a say in where it goes.

We demand better than ‘business as usual’. We need jobs and investment in our communities, we need healthcare, we need better housing, greener transport, social care and dignified livelihoods. We demand justice.

Plans for a just recovery need to be rooted in racial justice and address the multiple crises and inequities that an extractive economy has created. Communities of colour and those on the frontlines of the climate crisis are also the ones who have been bearing the brunt of the global pandemic.

The G20 finance ministers who will be meeting on 18 July hold the pursestrings for a just recovery that can tackle all these crises together.

This historic opportunity calls for an equally unprecedented response from them. Let them know.

Photo by Diego Rodriguez Garcia | Survival Media AgencyPhoto by Diego Rodriguez Garcia | Survival Media Agency

This is a moment that will go down in history as either the point when national governments stepped up to the challenge or when they caved in once again to powerful elites and used our public resources to shore up special interests like fossil fuel bailouts and other polluting industries.

The benchmark for an acceptable response is whether recovery plans help us fix what’s broken and start us on a new path to a more just and sustainable future for all.

Onwards,

Monica and the 350.org team

350.org is building a global climate movement. You can connect with us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and become a sustaining donor to keep this movement strong and growing.

Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 5:03 PM
Subject: Recovery plans need to fix what’s broken and demand justice

There are trillions of dollars of our money on the table and we want a say in where it goes.