*[Enwl-eng] Help cancel fossil gas

ENWLine

Sep 10, 2021, 12:30:03 PM9/10/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Four EU politicians could push the EU to spend billions on fossil gas projects. We have a unique chance to stop them. But time is running out. On Monday the European Parliament decides. This is our chance to stop fossil gas.

We know that if we want a shot at saving our planet, we need to leave fossil fuels behind. And right now, we have a golden opportunity to do just that.

The EU Commission has just said fossil gas should not be receiving billions in EU funding. [1] But for this to happen, we need four key Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) to agree. The problem is, the gas industry has just played all the tricks in the book to impact their decision. [2] And time is running out.

We only have until Monday before they will fix their position on funding fossil gas projects – or not.

The decision will shape our energy supply for decades to come. Our partners are setting up emergency meetings in Parliament to make the case for ending fossil gas funding. But their case would be so much stronger if they were backed by hundreds of thousands of people from across the continent.

Only by coming together can we outbalance the gas industry that has been lobbying our EU leaders. Will you join us?

SIGN TO KICK FOSSIL GAS OUT

Right now, the EU is deciding the new rulebook for energy in Europe. If fossil gas is excluded in the new rules, fossil fuel giants won't get any more public money from the EU. This would be a huge blow to the industry and would stop many gas projects in their tracks!

The economic logic that pushes for economic growth and corporate profit at the cost of people and the planet has to change.

Fossil gas is a dangerous climate heating gas, a roadblock to real climate solutions. But the rich and powerful gas lobby claims the opposite. It has lobbied politicians to continue pumping money into their dirty projects.

We now have a unique opportunity to push them back. We know that some members of the EU Parliament are already on our side. But we need to move four leaders in the Parliament to have a chance at stopping gas once and for all.

SIGN TO KICK FOSSIL GAS OUT

Together, the WeMove Europe community already helped to kick out gas and other polluting industries from the large EU COVID-19 recovery plan. [3] Now we can do it again.

With hope,
David (London), Annemarie (Berlin) and the entire WeMove Europe team

P.S. Help us to push the gas lobby back. After you sign the petition, please write to the four powerful MEPs from your heart about why you want them to stop funding fossil gas and start protecting our planet instead.