*[Enwl-eng] Enough is enough

ENWLine

Nov 9, 2021, 10:20:03 AM11/9/21
to "ENWL-uni"

93% of children are still breathing toxic air. From asthma to cancer, to premature births caused by the air breathed in by expectant mothers ... toxic pollution from fossil fuels is wrecking the health of the children we love.

On Friday, a powerful delegation of determined mum activists from South Africa, Nigeria, India, Brazil, Poland and the UK came together in the biggest parent mobilisation in history to meet face-to-face with COP26 President Alok Sharma.

These mothers handed him a letter signed by over 500 parent groups from 44 countries calling to stop funding new fossil fuels and secure a safe, healthy future for our children.

The mothers’ stories of how their children have been affected by toxic air pollution in all parts of the world, moved Sharma to tears.

Today, we need your help to make sure that Alok Sharma will effectively take their message into the heart of the COP negotiations to secure action from world leaders this week.

Vladimir, can you support the parents’ critical pledge by calling the COP26 hosts, Alok Sharma and Boris Johnson on social media?

To world leaders: DO NOT betray our kids. ACT NOW and stop financing any new fossil fuel projects today!

SEND YOUR TWEET

Air pollution from burning fossil fuels, and bush- and wildfire smoke made worse by the climate crisis, is robbing our children of their futures. Toxic fumes lodge inside our children’s bodies, stunting the development of their lungs, brains and hearts, with tragic consequences.

Children in marginalised communities are victims of a double penalty: they are more vulnerable to air pollution as children and more exposed because of their socioeconomic status and that of their parents.

In 2013, the fatal asthma attack that took the life of nine-year-old Ella Kissi-Debrah from London was linked unequivocally to air pollution.

Without fossil fuels, these heart-wrenching tragedies can be avoided.

Ella’s mother, Rosamund handed over the open letter, while playing a recording of a child struggling to breathe, to the COP President, Alok Sharma, himself a father of two. As mums, dads, step-parents, speaking to fellow parents, the letter asks world leaders to use their power to do everything necessary to keep our children safe: follow the science, stop financing new fossil fuels and help secure a safe, hopeful future for the next generation.

SEND YOUR TWEET

If you don’t have Twitter, no big deal! You can still support the action on Facebook by going onto Boris Johnson’s page and writing one of these comments under his latest post on COP26:

  • Parents from around the world - come together to ask leaders at #COP26 to secure a safe, healthy future with no new fossil fuels for all our kids. We need YOUR help to get this message heard!
  • World leaders: do everything in your power to keep our children safe: follow the science, secure their future, stop financing new fossil fuels.
  • At #COP26, I’m sending world leaders a simple message: Please STOP funding toxic fossil fuel projects that threaten the health and lives of our kids and planet.
  • Children are the future, and they deserve to have one. That’s why we are asking leaders at #COP26 to stop fossil fuel expansion that is destroying our children’s lungs, hearts and futures.

Our Kids' Climate and Parents For Future Global are the two global sister networks who brought together the parent groups that signed the letter.

Mums handing over the letter to Alok Sharma, from left to right: Amuche Nnabueze (Parents for Future Nigeria), Mariana Menezes (Familias Pelo Clima), Xoli Fuyani (Our Kids’ Climate), Alok Sharma, Rosamund Kissi Debrah, Rowan Ryrie (Parents For Future Global)Mums handing over the letter, from left to right: Amuche Nnabueze (Parents for Future Nigeria), Mariana Menezes (Familias Pelo Clima), Xoli Fuyani (Our Kids’ Climate), Alok Sharma, Rosamund Kissi Debrah, Rowan Ryrie (Parents For Future Global)

 SEND YOUR TWEET

Thanks for all that you do,
Leyla, Charles and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Open Letter, End financing for all new fossil fuels
Parents for the Future, 5 November 2021

‘Justice for my daughter’: Parents issue a plea on air pollution.
The New York Times, 5 November 2021

‘They’re killing our children: mothers from around the world demand action on fossil fuels.
The Guardian, 5 November 2021

WHO: More than 90% of the world’s children breathe toxic air every day
WHO, 29 October 2018

Our Children’s Air: Stories
Our Children’s Air Stories, 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Monday, November 08, 2021 5:06 PM
Subject: Enough is enough