*[Enwl-eng] Is social media harming children you love?

1 view

ENWLine

Jun 23, 2021, 9:17:51 AM6/23/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Has a child you know been bombarded with scary YouTube content, bullied on Instagram, become addicted to Roblox?

Your story could help persuade politicians to bring in new laws to protect children against Big Tech.

 Share your story

Pro-anorexia hashtags on Twitter, beauty filters on Instagram, gambling ads on Facebook... kids are forced to navigate a hellscape online, all to boost the profits of the Big Tech giants.

But right now Europe’s politicians are considering sweeping new laws that could end this nightmare by finally reining in Big Tech. And we have a chance to show them the stories behind the stats.

If your child, or a child you know, has had a tough experience online, would you take a few minutes to share your story? -- we'll take these stories to key politicians in Brussels so that they understand why they must act now.

Yes, I'll share my story of how Big Tech is harming children I love

Every day brings new headlines highlighting the nightmare children face online -- from bullies on Instagram to weight loss videos on TikTok. And now Facebook wants to push this on 8 year olds with its planned Instagram for Kids!

It’s crystal clear: social media is built to serve the interests of tech billionaires -- at the expense of children.

If Europe acts now, it could set a new standard for tech laws that force these companies to change how they operate everywhere. But to get politicians to change the rules, we need to show them real lives are being harmed on a daily basis. Will you help by sharing your story? You can stay anonymous if you prefer.

Yes I'll share my story of how Big Tech is harming children I love

You can see some of the stories our community has already shared with us here. We deeply respect the courage of these parents and kids -- and we'll work hard make sure stories like these become a thing of the past.

We know it can be hard to share this stuff, particularly when it concerns children. If you can't share your story today, you can still help by calling directly on Big Tech companies to detox the algorithms that push people - including children - to extreme content.

It's easy for politicians to ignore even the worst problems when they're just facts and figures on a page -- so much harder when it's real people's lives. Let's make them take notice.

 Share your story

Thanks for all that you do,
Olivia and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

44 Attorneys General Urge Facebook To Nix Instagram For Kids As They Warn Of Sexual Grooming, Bullying Forbes, May 10, 2021

The child safety problem on platforms is worse than we knew The Verge, May 12, 2021

Eating disorders were already on the rise among teens. TikTok is ‘like a trap,’ health experts say. The Philadelphia Inquirer, March 16, 2021

Facebook approves alcohol, vaping, gambling and dating ads targeting teens, lobby group finds ABC News, April 27, 2021

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 1:00 PM
Subject: Is social media harming children you love?