*[Enwl-eng] Bring your voice to the European Parliament

ENWLine

May 11, 2020, 12:12:48 PM5/11/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Volkswagen cheated us with tricked diesel cars, and now hopes to get a bailout - despite a record 17 billion euros in earnings last year! Send a message to our leaders and ask them to block this on Wednesday’s vote.

Hi,

Volkswagen, the same corporation that cheated millions of customers in Europe by having their diesel cars illegally pass emission-quality tests, now wants taxpayers’ money to help them through the coronavirus recession. But they refuse to withhold dividends to shareholders! That’s despite 2019 being a record year for the corporation, with earnings of over 17 billion euros. [1]

On Wednesday the European Parliament will seek to influence the EU proposal to reconstruct our devastated economies. This is where we can call on Members of the European Parliament to push for dirty industries to be excluded from publicly funded bailouts.

Our 275,000 strong petition, calling for the upcoming recovery plan to care for people and the planet - and not for large polluting industries, is growing in strength by the day. We will deliver it before the debate on Wednesday and request for it to be officially mentioned during the debate. Some MEPs have already accepted - but we need more pressure for more MEPs to make our petition visible, and to have our demands taken on board.

Send key MEPs an email
If you have a Twitter account, Tweet to key MEPs

Research shows that there is a link between the emergence of new viruses and the environmental emergency. [2] We want to have clean jobs, but also to live free from epidemiological and weather disasters - more and more common because of pollution and the climate crisis.

The coronavirus crisis is a disaster - but the resulting European recovery plan is also an opportunity to tackle various crises all at once: the health, the economic, and the climate crises!

This plan will affect us all for years to come, so getting it right is crucial. Polluting corporations have lots of money and huge lobbying power - but together we are many. If we come together to tell decision makers what we want, we can make a difference. Taking action now is not just necessary but also timely, as the recovery plan is being fast-tracked and negotiated right now.

Send key MEPs an email
If you have a Twitter account, Tweet to key MEPs

Now it’s time to rise to the challenges of our time - and united we can.

David, Virginia (Madrid), and the entire WeMove Europe team

PS: If we can make a difference in the days ahead, the impact could be huge. That's why we are making big plans and joining forces with other organisations, to maximize our power. We have done this before and have won. Next week is the first stop on a journey towards a new economy for the people. Send a direct message to our leaders!