*[Enwl-eng] This restored coal railway would rip through vulnerable communities and poison our environment

1 view

ENWLine

Feb 10, 2022, 11:17:14 AM2/10/22
to "ENWL-uni"

No new coal infrastructure!

Care2 Petitions Logo
A train filled with dark coal moves through a beautiful green landscape

It's 2022. Why Are We Still Expanding Parts of the Polluting Coal Industry?

2021 was yet another one of the hottest years in recorded human history. And despite the increasingly obvious risk of climate catastrophe, there is still infrastructure being built and restored to support coal exports in California. Devastatingly, a section of railway located in Humboldt County, along the North Coast, is being eyed for restoration just so it can transport polluting, dangerous coal through vulnerable ecosystems and communities.

Not only has the dying coal industry contributed greatly to our dying planet, helping put us on the verge of a climate crisis and threatening the global community. Coal transport hurts those closest to it even more immediately. Coal dust spreads during transportation, and can severely threaten community health, leading to asthma, cardiac disease, prenatal risks, and perhaps most importantly, increased mortality from COVID-19. In Humboldt County, which has disproportionately high rates of poverty and where the death rate is 40% higher than the state average, the toll this new coal export plan would take on the vulnerable people there is far too high.

We must insist that California's legislature stops this disastrous plan from going forward. Sign the petition to stop coal expansion in Humboldt County, California!

Photo of a white woman with blonde hair smiling

Thank you,

Lauren

Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. Coal is a dying, dangerous industry. So why is California proposing to expand it, hurting communities there and threatening our planet? Sign the petition now.

Care2.com, Inc.
3141 Stevens Creek Blvd. #40394
San Jose, CA 95117
http://www.care2.com