*[Enwl-eng] The end of fossil fuels?

ENWLine

May 18, 2021, 11:05:37 AM5/18/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends, The most powerful energy agency just said the world must scrap all new coal, oil and gas projects if we want to limit global heating to 1.5˚C and reach net-zero emissions by 2050. This is HUGE! The special report will inform global climate negotiations in Glasgow and could become pivotal to shift trillions away from polluting fossil fuels into clean energy solutions -- but powerful fossil fuel leaders will try hard to keep it a meager one-off and delay action! Let’s ensure it doesn’t. Right now, the IEA chief is in the midst of a huge juggling act: navigating the interests of governments and industry while trying to be a green recovery leader. Let’s ensure our voices echo the loudest. Retweet Avaaz's message here, then write your message -- let’s tell Fatih Birol to make today’s report into a turning point for the IEA and align all its reporting with 1.5˚C going forward! RetweetAvaaz's Tweet
Take Action Now!
[...]

Tips to write your tweet:
  •  1.5˚C is possible and better for the world - Let’s celebrate the IEA’s ambition and highlight this report’s conclusion: to reach 1.5˚C in time, we can have NO new investments in oil, coal or gas. It empowers leaders to keep temperature rise below 1.5˚C, critically important for a future safe from drought, floods, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.
  • Make this the IEA’s legendary turning point - This 1.5˚C aligned NZ2050 report is a "special" report -- but leaders and investors use the IEA's yearly World Energy Outlook (WEO) as the basis for their policies and investments. The IEA must align all its reports, including the WEO, with 1.5˚C going forward. It’s the #WEO2021 that counts!
  • Work remains to be done - This is only the start of needed reform. The IEA must fix modelling assumptions that continue to undersell solar and wind compared to unproven solutions like carbon capture and storage, and bioenergy that put at risk our ecosystems and food supply. Let’s look at other ways to meet 1.5˚C!
Use your own words, and don't forget to use Birol's and the agency’s Twitter handles: @fbirol and @IEA. You can also add the handles of the UK leaders who've requested this report: @BorisJohnson and @AlokSharma_RDG. Don’t forget hashtags #WEO2021, #WEO21, FixtheWEO and #NZ2050

With hope and determination,

Alice, Pascal, Patricia, Daniel, Ine, and the entire team at Avaaz

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500