*[Enwl-eng] You're invited to a debate in the European Parliament

1 view

ENWLine

May 28, 2021, 10:26:44 AM5/28/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Hi,

Some time ago we told you the story of the only two baby penguins from an Antarctic colony who survived, out of 18,000 which had recently hatched. The others starved to death. More recently, we’ve learnt about one million penguins that have vanished. [1] Intensive fishing is disturbing the food chain in Antarctica, and many penguins don’t get enough nourishment to survive.

France, Germany and the European Union have proved to be world leaders in protecting Antarctica. They’ve proposed the creation of areas closed for industrial fishing: marine sanctuaries around the Antarctic. [2] These sanctuaries would be huge spaces where all fishing would be prohibited, allowing for the replenishment of krill, the food penguins eat. [3]

The krill doesn’t only constitute penguin food. By eating the plankton, krill communities also capture carbon dioxide from the sea surface and store it in the sea depths where they excrete waste. Thus, the krill protect us from the devastating effects of climate change. [4]

Our community gathered nearly 150,000 signatures (including yours!) in a petition to stop overfishing in Antarctica that we delivered to the cabinet of the President of the European Council just before an important United Nations General Assembly.

Three people stand in row, holding placard with petition text and image of penguins on it, behind people are two European flags

Our Executive Director, Laura Sullivan (first on the right), alongside our partner, the Antarctic Ocean Campaign, and a representative from the cabinet

But while we are making progress, we can’t drop the ball. Next month France will host a preparatory meeting for a big summit in the autumn where the destiny of Antarctica will be discussed. Just before the meeting in late June, the European Parliament is hosting a debate on this issue, with closing remarks by European Commission President Ursula Von der Leyen. And you are invited!

As a signatory of WeMove Europe’s petition, we’re inviting you to the debate in the European Parliament on Friday 4 June at 14:00 (CEST time). European Commissioners, academics and Members of the European Parliament will speak at the event.

Register now!

It’s essential that European leaders walk with bold statements into the autumn summit despite the resistance and boycott of countries such as China and Russia. European leaders must not let go of their own initiative, and that’s why they need to feel the presence and support of citizens every step of the way, starting from the debate in Parliament next Friday.

Stand up for Antarctica, join the webinar

David (London), Virginia (Madrid) and the whole WeMove Europe team