*[Enwl-eng] Protecting my homeland

ENWLine

Jul 30, 2020, 9:15:33 AM7/30/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Midha Kidh mura buai,

My name is Yessie, I’m a Zenadh Kes Masig man, living in the Kulkalgal tribe area in the Central Torres Strait Islands. I am one of eight claimants who are taking the Australian government to the UN for failing to act on climate change, putting our islands, people and culture at risk.

My home is a beautiful place. From the clear blue sea to the white sandy beaches, the Torres Strait Islands are an incredible part of the world. They are home to one of the oldest living cultures in the world as well as culturally significant animals like turtles and dugongs.

The Torres Strait is made up of 133 islands just north of Queensland, Australia. Each Torres Strait Island is similar, but we have distinct cultures that set us apart. Our ties to land and sea are strong, but climate change threatens to take away so much of what makes us who we are.

Can you sign our petition calling on the Australian Prime Minister to make a true commitment to supporting the people of the Torres Strait with resources, so we can protect our homes from climate change?

It’s heartbreaking to see the land wash away, our food sources deteriorate and drinking water dry up. Climate change is threatening the homes, health and culture of my family, friends and community - all while the Australian government refuses to address the climate crisis.

In the face of these great challenges I draw strength and resilience from my ancestors, and continue to fight to protect my traditional homeland for future generations.

But, we can’t do this without you. The government of Australia needs to protect all their citizens from the threats of climate change.That means protecting the Torres Strait Islands directly from the impacts of climate change and becoming an ambitious, productive global citizen in the fight to limit the harm from climate change.

Vladimir, together we can hold the Australian government accountable and protect the Torres Strait Islands from being washed away.

Join me and the other claimants in calling on the Australian government to immediately act to reduce emissions.

I hope you will stand with us to protect an ancient race and our island homes.

Yessie
Torres Strait Island Organiser

350.org is building a global climate movement. You can connect with us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and become a sustaining donor to keep this movement strong and growing.

Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 12:52 PM
Subject: Protecting my homeland