*[Enwl-eng] You made a difference for Ukraine's missing kids

1 view

ENWL

Mar 5, 2023, 12:29:54 PM3/5/23
to "ENWL-uni"
Dear friends around the world,
You are getting this note because you’ve been part of the movement to stop Russia’s war in Ukraine and we have some important news.

The US and the EU just announced new sanctions for 5 Russian officials responsible for abducting Ukraine’s children, and the UN overwhelmingly passed a resolution calling for lasting peace and for Russia to leave Ukraine (despite Moscow’s pressure to stop it).

Thank you so much for your role in helping with this crucial campaign.

If you want a bit more detail, here are the top 5 things our community did in just one week to help secure justice for Ukrainians:

650,000 Avaazers joined Nobel Peace Prize winner Oleksandra Matviichuk to call for sanctions...

...to help stop Putin’s abduction of Ukrainian children. And thousands of us sent personal messages directly to our governments to strengthen the call.

Avaaz members showed up in force in Brussels -- making headlines around the world!

Avaaz members and Ukrainian refugees installed thousands of kids toys in front of the European Union’s headquarters to further our call for sanctions and mark the anniversary of Putin’s invasion. News of the event went around the world from the Washington Post in the US, to The Guardian in the UK, Euractiv, and far beyond.

In New York on the same day, Avaaz members descended on the UN headquarters...

...to ensure member states voted in favor of a crucial resolution calling for peace in Ukraine and the withdrawal of the Russian military. Our action traveled far and wide -- hitting major media outlets in the US, UK, France, Argentina, Mexico, Turkey and more!

The UN resolution for peace was passed!

After hundreds of Brazilian, Indian, Argentinian, and South African Avaaz members pushed their governments to stop sitting on the sidelines, the UN General Assembly passed the resolution with a huge majority -- despite massive pressure from Russia!

New sanctions announced!

In the last few days we learned that the US and the EU targeted 5 of the Russian officials responsible for the abduction and re-education of Ukraine’s children with sanctions. Our goal was to secure sanctions from the EU, US, Canada and UK governments for 13 officials. So we will be pushing for more!!!
In the coming weeks, Avaaz campaigners will be designing ways for us to further our call for more sanctions, accountability for Putin and his cronies, and to reunite families. There is clearly more work to be done. AND it was a powerful week that is worth honoring!

The challenges of our time can often feel huge and daunting, but our job is to transform those challenges into opportunities to make meaningful changes in the world. Last week, we did our job together so beautifully -- standing with Ukrainians for peace and justice -- and the world changed because of it. So much so that the Ukrainian government even wrote to thank Avaaz members specifically

None of this would have happened without the hundreds of thousands of us around the
world who did our part.

With enormous gratitude,

Bert, Nell, Nate, John, Ana Paula, Nax, Will and the entire Avaaz team

PS: if the work we do together inspires you, please consider taking a moment to invite friends to join the Avaaz community and our call to bring Ukraine’s stolen children home, so our impact can grow even bigger.
Avaaz is a 70-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add av...@avaaz.org to your address book. To change your email address, language settings, or other personal information, contact us
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West