*[Enwl-eng] We have to change the rules

ENWLine

May 26, 2022, 10:19:37 AM5/26/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Everything is up in the air right now, it could go either way. Politicians need to hear from you.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌

Europe is making huge decisions that will impact our futures for years to come. Will it be business as usual with more money flowing into dangerous fossil fuels or new rules for mass investment in renewables? It depends on us.

The EU is having big conversations about our future right now, and we need to be part of it.

Europe could decide to invest in fossil fuels and nuclear energy for decades to come. Or they could make bold new rules to help the mass development of clean energy.

It makes sense for peace and for the planet to stop pumping billions into fossil fuels. But the fossil fuel and nuclear industries are working like crazy to keep things just as they are.

Vladimir – they're trying to get our Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) to rig the rules, whatever the cost for the planet and all of us.

This community has the power to scrap their plans. We need to convince enough MEPs to reject the demands of fossil fuel companies – but the discussions are underway, and our time to make an impact is running out.

Our first step is to show people care with a huge petition! And before the vote, we will post billboards to grab the attention of MEPs, work with the media, and deliver your voices directly to decision-makers.

Sign now for renewables!

Europe is making new rules that will define what a green investment is. It’s called the Taxonomy – and it is huge because it means billions would flow into renewables like solar and wind. The critical cash boost we need to build renewable projects in the short time we have to contain climate chaos. [1]

Unfortunately, fossil fuels and nuclear industries are getting their way. They got nuclear and gas labelled as green investments in the draft proposal. [2]

If they win, they will get billions for their dirty energy projects – instead of funding the renewable future we need. Dirty gas projects would be built across Europe. We would be locked into a cycle of pollution for years. New nuclear projects would leave our children to manage toxic waste and would not be built in time to help us reduce emissions. [3]

The European Parliament can put a stop to this. Already 200 of our MEPs are saying they will vote against a green label for gas and nuclear, but we need 153 more to join them.

That’s where we come in – a massive petition signed by the very people these MEPs are elected to represent could swing the vote. Will you join the call for MEPs to back funding renewables over dirty fuel projects?

Yes, I'll sign now

Our community has risen up again and again to protect our planet. Together, we got new bold EU climate laws, a zero pollution ambition, and much more. Now, opening the floodgates for cash to flow to dirty fuel projects threatens to undermine all of this.

But when we come together, we can move mountains, so let’s make sure we are heard and act now.

In solidarity,
David (London), Virginia (Madrid), Alex (Marseille) and the entire WeMove Europe team