*[Enwl-eng] Last chance! Save wild salmon from frankenfish

ENWLine

Apr 24, 2013, 5:48:41 PM4/24/13
to "ENWL-uni"
There are only 2 days left in the FDA's comment period on genetically
engineered salmon. Add your name to stop the FDA from approving them now:
https://secure3.convio.net/fww/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=659&s_src=ls&s_subsrc=SOE0413

These "frankenfish" - made by splicing eel genes into fish genes - pose a
serious threat to our wild salmon. If they escape into the open oceans, they
could quickly outcompete our wild salmon for food and change their gene pool
forever.

Please join our friends at Food and Water Watch in urging the FDA to say NO
to genetically engineered salmon by Friday. There's more detail on this
threat below.

Take action now:
https://secure3.convio.net/fww/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=659&s_src=ls&s_subsrc=SOE0413

-Kevin

Our wild salmon are in trouble.

As if overfishing, habitat destruction, and climate change weren't bad
enough, now wild salmon could be threatened by genetically engineered salmon
that could escape into the wild...

We only have until Friday to convince the FDA to reject GE salmon - submit
your comment before the FDA's 4/26 deadline for public comments!

Take action now:
https://secure3.convio.net/fww/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=659&s_src=ls&s_subsrc=SOE0413

AquaBounty, the company responsible for creating GE salmon by splicing eel
genes into salmon, claims that there's no chance their frankenfish will
escape or reproduce in the wild. We've heard that one before...

And, unfortunately, just a handful of escapes could wreak havoc on our ocean
ecosystems, potentially destroying the local, wild salmon population for
good.

Join me in telling the FDA that the risk of GE salmon escape is just too
high to allow its approval to move forward.

Submit your comment by clicking here:
https://secure3.convio.net/fww/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=659&s_src=ls&s_subsrc=SOE0413

And the GE salmon story only gets worse from there: GE salmon has been shown
to contain elevated levels of the hormone IGF-1, which has been linked to
cancer in humans. The FDA is clearly not doing its job if it's considering
allowing potentially cancer-causing GE fish onto our grocery shelves.

This lab-based monstrosity has been rushed through the FDA approval process,
despite the fact that there have been no long-term studies of GE salmon's
impact on human health or the environment. And, if it makes its way onto our
grocery store shelves, it is likely to be unlabeled, which means we won't
even have the choice to avoid it.

By submitting your comment before Friday's deadline, you'll be joining
legislators, scientists and tens of thousands of other Americans who are
asking the FDA to reject this frankenfish because it's not only too
dangerous for wild salmon, it's also too dangerous for consumers.

Take action now:
https://secure3.convio.net/fww/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=659&s_src=ls&s_subsrc=SOE0413

Thanks for taking action,

Sarah Alexander