*[Enwl-eng] We choose reuse

ENWLine

Jun 14, 2021, 1:05:49 PM6/14/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Plastic is in our food, drinking water, the air we breathe, and even inside our bodies. Next week the EU could help solve the plastic pollution crisis at its root by helping reduce the amount we produce and switching to reusable products and systems. But our voice has to be stronger than the packaging industry.

Hi,

Have you ever bought apples wrapped in plastic, opened a delivery, or tried to open a child's toy wishing there was not so much unnecessary packaging?

Over-packaging is everywhere. Recycling has been presented as the main solution to our waste problem by industry and it is important, but it’s far from enough. Most plastic cannot be recycled and ends up in a landfill or an incinerator. [1] And the waste that can be recycled requires a lot of materials and energy.

The only way we can solve the plastic pollution crisis is by reducing what we produce and putting in place robust reuse systems. This means bottles and containers are picked up for reuse, your household cleaning or bathroom supplies are easily refilled when empty, and take-out food is prepared in reusable dishes. [2]

And next week we finally have an opportunity. EU decision-makers will start reviewing EU Packaging laws. They could make sure that all of the necessary packaging we use is reusable.

But the powerful packaging industry will try to limit the focus of the review on recycling. Together, let’s counter the industry’s pressure with a massive show of people power to ensure the EU chooses to reuse!

Join the reuse revolution!

Packaging accounts for close to two-thirds of total plastic waste in Europe. [3] And packaging waste is still increasing in the EU and is expected to increase further worldwide as more people buy goods online that need to be shipped and consume products such as food, beverages, and pharmaceuticals on-the-go. [4]

The most effective way to reduce waste is to not create it in the first place. This is why reuse is the most environmentally friendly option. It reduces our carbon footprint, saves energy and money, reduces waste that will go to landfills and incinerators, and allows products to be used to their fullest extent. [5]

But because the packaging industry with companies like Unilever, Coca Cola, Nestlé and Danone will have to change how they operate and stand to lose profits, they’ll pressure the EU to focus on recycling and not reuse. [6] Vladimir, let’s counter this pressure together to ensure the EU chooses reuse and puts our planet over profits. Will you sign?

Rethink Packaging: EU commit to reuse!

Over the years our community has been a strong voice fighting plastic pollution. Together, in the hundreds of thousands across Europe and with many partners including Break Free From Plastic and the Rethink Plastic Alliance, we demanded a ban on single-use plastics.

And finally, single-use plastics such as plastic straws, plates, cutlery, cotton bud sticks, among others, will be banned across the EU. [7]

This will be a turning point in waste reduction. Now we have an even bigger opportunity that will be the most effective way to stop plastic pollution: committing to reuse!

With hope,
David (London), Giulio (Rome), and the entire WeMove team