*[Enwl-eng] Saudi Arabia

ENWLine

Aug 10, 2018, 8:23:12 PM8/10/18
to "ENWL-uni"

Saudi Arabia stones women to death, brutally whips peaceful activists and just this week bombed a school bus in Yemen. Canada just called out their latest jailing of women activists, and got slammed with sanctions! Enough is enough -- let's get our governments to stand with Canada until Saudi Arabia stops these human rights abuses! Sign now!
sign now

Saudi Arabia stones women to death, brutally whips peaceful activists and just this week bombed a school bus in Yemen. Canada just called out their latest jailing of women activists, and got slammed with sanctions! Enough is enough -- let's get our governments to stand with Canada until Saudi Arabia stops these human rights abuses! Sign now!
sign now
Dear friends,

Saudi Arabia stones women to death, brutally whips peaceful activists, and just bombed a school bus full of kids in Yemen.

Canada just called out their latest jailing of women activists, and now Saudi has slammed them with sanctions! It's a typical bullying Saudi response: make an "example" of anyone who dares stand up to them.

Enough is enough -- let's get our governments to publicly demand the release of human rights activists, expel them from the UN Human Rights Council, and bring sanctions if the abuse continues - sign now!

Click here to sign!

Most of the world is still democratic and respects human rights. But rogue states like Saudi are trying to change that, to move us away from law and rights and democracy, towards a darker world where might makes right.

They’re targeting Canada to make an example of a champion of humanity and global values. The rest of the world’s democracies need to unite, or we’ll all soon face the same treatment.

But get this -- Saudi Arabia isn’t just on the UN’s Human Rights Council, it’s in charge of women’s rights, even as it locks up women! Now is the moment for our governments to stand up for human rights. Join the call for them to speak out and expel Saudi from the Human Rights Council!

Click here to sign!

Our movement played a major role in helping to win a vote in the European Parliament to ban arms sales to Saudi Arabia. It was the first time democracies have strongly stood up to Saudi oil and cash and done the right thing. Let’s make sure that a bright future of justice and law and human rights prevails over the dark dystopia of might makes right that Saudi Arabia and Trump are pushing on us.

With hope,

Rewan, Andrew, Fatima, Danny and everyone at Avaaz

More information:

Why Saudi Arabia is waging diplomatic war on … Canada (Vox)
https://www.vox.com/world/2018/8/6/17656864/saudi-arabia-canada-ambassador-persona-non-grata-samar-badawi

Saudi Arabia freezes Canada trade ties for urging activists' release (BBC)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45079682

Saudi Arabia’s fight with Canada exposes its fragile crown prince (Washington Post)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2018/08/07/saudi-arabias-fight-with-canada-exposes-its-fragile-crown-prince/?utm_term=.5379238b4f64

'We are always going to speak up for human rights': Why Saudia Arabia abruptly suspended trade relations with Canada (National Post)
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/saudi-arabias-diplomatic-dispute-with-canada-an-explainer

Saudi Arabia's row with Canada: Silencing Western criticism? (DW)
https://www.dw.com/en/saudi-arabias-row-with-canada-silencing-western-criticism/a-44988894

Here’s why Canadian allies are keeping their mouths shut in dispute with Saudi Arabia (Global News)
https://globalnews.ca/news/4376037/canada-saudi-arabia-dispute-united-states-silent/

Avaaz is a 47-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 6:29 PM
Subject: Saudi Arabia